guitar fret cutting template 25.5 or 24.3/4

simon1138

Hello

i bought a 25 1/2 inch and 24 3/4 inch fret cutting template.

it does not match the guitar neck that i have. i thought that i would check it against a few necks that i have. one is cheap chinese banana head stock, another is a stagg strat, these do not match the template. the bc rich 24 fret neck does though.

does this template only work for 24 fret necks because i would only really like 22 frets. i am thinking that maybe this wont work?

1 hour ago, simon1138 said:

it does not match the guitar neck that i have.

What specifically are you trying to match? Isn't a fret cutting template only for providing a guide for the positions of the frets themselves?

1 hour ago, simon1138 said:

does this template only work for 24 fret necks because i would only really like 22 frets.

There should be no difference between a 24 fret neck and a 22 fret neck, other than the last two frets being cut off.

hey curtisa

thanks for the reply,

i was comparing it to the other guitar necks that i have just to see if they match, which they don't, except my bc rich. i just found that odd and thought that maybe the necks i have are not correct in some way. 

But what are you comparing that doesn't match? The scale length? The fret spacing? The taper/shape?

If you've bought a template that is advertised as a 25.5" fret cutting template and it doesn't conform to the mathematically correct fret spacing required for 25.5" scale length that could indicate a fault with the way the template has been constructed.

If the template also includes the nominal taper of the whole fretboard and you're comparing that against other finished necks, it's not a valid comparison as there is no specific standard to follow in determining a fretboard's taper. It'd be a bit like comparing the plastic frame surrounding your computer monitor to another monitor from a different manufacturer and using the thickness of that frame to determine whether the picture quality was better or worse. 

For what it's worth I bought a 25 1/2 inch and 24 3/4 inch notched straight edge which looks like a two sided template to be used in a mitre box with a peg for the notch. I just couldn't get it to match any of my guitars despite the notches being pretty wide and after some research thought it would match a scale in the 20" ballpark. So much for Chinese accuracy!

Quite some time later it popped up and just out of masochistic curiosity I placed it on a neck. Still no match! BUT for some reason I they laid it on the second fret instead of the first and voilà! There was an open notch at the very end which I thought was for the nut instead of the first fret. Who would have thought?

i was checking it against fret spacing of the other necks that i have. i bought this template from a british shop online, wont name him but i think he sells poultry as well. i dont want to slag him off as that is not the case. just curious what is going on with my template. i have one notch that is for a zero fret.