the designation " dreadnot"

RonMay

For what I've understood the shapes are different: A "dreadnought" body is flat at the bottom and the top whereas a "jumbo" is round at the ends. A jumbo body is also slightly longer most likely because of the roundness.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 4:44 AM, RonMay said:

Thank you Bizman62

My old one is flat on the bottom and top, so a dreadnought it is.

Ron

x5r2f1C.jpg

no acoustic expert... not even qualified as a novice, but this looks like somewhere between a dreadnought and jumbo.  It actually looks like the "jumbo before the jumbo"?  There was a jumbo that was bigger than what is now known as a jumbo, and it was used quite a bit in country and western... it was also called a jumbo.  I believe the current 'jumbo' was just what gibson came up with to compete with whomever made the jumbo first (I think it was maybe guild?)  This is all the ramblings and fragments of some article i read a while back... so take it for what it's worth. 

@mistermikev, it fits that you should mention "jumbo western". I was there when my brother bought it and the sales man at Melheart Music here called it a "jumbo western". I think that that music instrument store is still in business .

I mostly wanted to know because I want to buy a nice case for it and needed some kind of body classification to help narrow down the choices. I "searched" for jumbo western and jumbo kept coming up along with a hole lot of dreadnought classifications as well. I'm going to use the measurements for sure because hardly any of the jumbos or dreadnoughts were using the same measurements and the body style alpha numerical classifications were just as many as there were manufacturers.  Which was totally confusing to my poor ignorant brain.

I think I'm settling on a "Gator" case that will fit the dimensions of the body and length. Which are: bottom bout 16 1/4", top bout 12 1/16", depth of 4 3/8" with an approximate length of 41", unless a better brand in that price range, can be recommended.  The case it came with sort of fits it and it's made out of something like thick cardboard stuff with a faux leather like looking exterior. It's flimsy as hell.

I'm extremely lucky that the guitar arrived in one piece because my niece sent it to me in just the case with shipping tape wrapped around it in about 3 places. The Alvarez was shipped like that as well but that case was way superior and fits the guitar like a glove.

Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated. :)

Ron

2 minutes ago, RonMay said:

@mistermikev, it fits that you should mention "jumbo western". I was there when my brother bought it and the sales man at Melheart Music here called it a "jumbo western". I think that that music instrument store is still in business .

I mostly wanted to know because I want to buy a nice case for it and needed some kind of body classification to help narrow down the choices. I "searched" for jumbo western and jumbo kept coming up along with a hole lot of dreadnought classifications as well. I'm going to use the measurements for sure because hardly any of the jumbos or dreadnoughts were using the same measurements and the body style alpha numerical classifications were just as many as there were manufacturers.  Which was totally confusing to my poor ignorant brain.

I think I'm settling on a "Gator" case that will fit the dimensions of the body and length. Which are: bottom bout 16 1/4", top bout 12 1/16", depth of 4 3/8" with an approximate length of 41", unless a better brand in that price range, can be recommended.  The case it came with sort of fits it and it's made out of something like thick cardboard stuff with a faux leather like looking exterior. It's flimsy as hell.

I'm extremely lucky that the guitar arrived in one piece because my niece sent it to me in just the case with shipping tape wrapped around it in about 3 places. The Alvarez was shipped like that as well but that case was way superior and fits the guitar like a glove.

Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated. :)

Ron

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCYBI462/Southern-Jumbo-Original/Vintage-Sunburst

see above link.  this is gibson's "original" jumbo... looks pretty similar to me.  I don't think this size is all that common.  anywho, glad to contribute!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCYBI462/Southern-Jumbo-Original/Vintage-Sunburst

see above link.  this is gibson's "original" jumbo... looks pretty similar to me.  I don't think this size is all that common.  anywho, glad to contribute!

@mistermikev ,they do look similar. Gibson sure is proud of it judging from the price tag.

Thanks for that.

Ron

• Like 1