Wood suppliers in the UK

I am in the south of England (the Isle of Wight to be exact) and wondered if anyone has got any recommendations for where to source good quality timber. Of course, if anyone has got any for sale (mahogany, quarter sawn maple, quilt maple etc) I would be interested to know.

Touchstone Tonewoods are supposed to be quite good.

There's quite a few on the forum from the Isle of Wight so I'd hand out for some of them as there might be something closer to home. I think that strange fruit and rob are the people you're after. Good luck dude.

Brian, can I request the suppliers I list be added to the suppliers section of the main site? I must have answered this question a dozen times now!

Craft supplies - Very inexpensive, and good enough for beginners & intermediate. Can be a bit hit and miss though, I don't believe their staff have any tonewood knowledge - you get the first piece on the shelf, sometimes it's great, occasionally it's just OK. No custom cutting, just stock sizes, and a very limited selection of hardware.

David Dyke - Luthier supply. - Very good quality, and very knowledgable. Prices are higher than craft supplies, but the trade off is David's expertise and the superb quality, as well as custom milling etc. Good range of hardware as well as timber.

Touchstone Tonewoods - Not tried them personally, but they have a good rep and a by far the best online catalogue. Nice selection of hardware ranging from inexpensive to high-end.

I believe these three are listed on the main site. Even if they are not, the three names keep on coming up and I have already viewed their sites and asked for quotes. However, I wonder if anyone has any more 'local' knowledge. You know, me mate Dave who lives round the corner from you, type thing.

Craft supplies - Very inexpensive, and good enough for beginners & intermediate. Can be a bit hit and miss though, I don't believe their staff have any tonewood knowledge - you get the first piece on the shelf, sometimes it's great, occasionally it's just OK. No custom cutting, just stock sizes, and a very limited selection of hardware.

Ask them to send you their tonewood catalogue, it's got loads of stuff they don't list on their site. Most body blanks are around £25.

Jon

I got most of my stuff from Craft Supplies. Best to go and look at the wood first though in my opinion. There seemed to be quite a big difference between the stack of 4A quilted maple. Nice helpfull people though. Got my Mahogany body blank from them, and it might have been one of the thickest blanks I've seen. It was massive :D