Sheilding

Hotrock

Alright guys,

Once the money has arrived in my bank it's time to start on the electrical gubbins. Just wondering what is best to shield the control cavity. The options seem to be conductive paint, tin foil type stuff (like on my very cheap strat copy) or copper tape. I may have missed some.

Also, I'm hollowing out the cheap strat copy and I want to hollow out as much as possible (it's plywood) this means that the controls are likely to be in the main cavity of the guitar, do I need to sheild the whole lot of the inside of the guitar or could I use shielded wire to link all the post and pups? Would I need to ground the casings of the pots or would these act like a filter?

...and I'm a big copper tape guy.

...it all works, just what you prefer I guess...

Yes, shield the entire cavity, including the bottom of the pickguard, and make sure it contacts the rest of it well.

You will also be grounding all the pot/switch casings anyway...

I use copper tape in all my guitars. I was told that if you are installing humbuckers then its not really necessary so long as all components are grounded properly, but nonetheless, I still use copper tape. It looks nicer. You can order it at StewMac. I heard that stained glass artisans use the really thick heavy stuff as backing and heat sink material for doing their lead soldering.

aluminum tape.

theres a great spray on stuff that i am wanting to try. jack over at amz has a great tutorial on it, it has metal filings in it.

http://www.muzique.com/lab/magpaint.htm

Would that paint stand the test of time?
Yeah, it should last at least as long as painted steel does, and it's not like the inside of your guitar cavities are gonna be exposed to the elements or any kind of abrasion. It might not last but say 50 years, but that's what keeps restorers in business. BTW, while you're there, check out Jack's site thoroughly. He's been at this as long as anyone I know of, and his site has a bunch of good ideas sprinkled around on it - check his LAB section out.