On Board Effects

Biohazard

The biggest problem with onboard f/x is finding room for the boards, controls and batteries. You can literally lift the board and controls out of a stompbox and wire them between your volume pot and your output jack, but you've gotta make room for the pots, board, battery and switches (including a bypass toggle, since you won't have a footswitch). If you're willing to make a big enough hole, it's no problem. Personally, I never liked the idea of adding several more pots and switches to my controls - I have enough trouble remembering where I set my two band tone circuits for that sweet spot.

Atm im planning on sticking a fuzz face in the strat body that im working on, im basically gonna rout out a cavity just next to the middle Pup on the side of the controls and put it in there. im trying to get hold of a couple concentric pots so that the top wont look so cluttered.

ive basically used the fuzz face design off generalguitargadgets but ive designed the circuit board myself to make it a bit smaller

ya, if you plan on doing this, i would (just by using common sense, not true expierience) use elctro harmonix pedals. They last a lifetime on a battery. (not really, only a few weeks) The last liek two weeks on one battery while staying plugged in. I think thats the only effect i would want built in. I mean I could go from a clean verse to a dirty chorus without moving, or a verse i was playing with a dist footpedal on, and wanted more dist for a solo, again without moving an inch.

Hi, yeah, well I think i will possibly build in a Electro-Harmonix Small Stone, and a fuzz pedal, if i need to, have two batteries running the two effects independantly. I plan to have more than enough routed cavity for this. I'l let you all know how it goes when I plan on doing this.

Thanks to all who posted.

go with the fuzz but i would not recomend you try to build a small stone. the PCB wireing for it is a serious bitch and unless you know what you are doing you will either a)get confused or :D end up with a huge circuit board meaningyou have to rout out alot. i havnt seen the EH fuzz but if its like other fuzz pedals then it should be fairlly small and simple so id just go with that for the moment

• 1 year later...

if you are willing to use an xlr cable. you could always use it to carry power. and have a stereo guitar jack xlr to stereo adaptor. or a specific box housed on the guitar strap like a wireless unit. with a stereo patch cord could carry all the power and audio.