Sandpaper Organization Tips?

JayT

I've got 2 builds going on (hey, that's a lot for so don't judge!) and my shop is turning into a sandpaper graveyard.

My current sandpaper storage is a mess -- I tried making a sort of file cabinet type system with a fooler for each grit/size and that works OK for new stuff...but once used they end up all over the place. Doesn't help that I tend to not throw them away even after I think I should, the good stuff isn't cheap!

I did start marking the back with the grit all over incase I cut them in smaller pieces, that helps at least with identifying the scattered pieces.

Are there any tips on what helps makes your sandpaper issues less abrasive?

Thanks in advance!

One option is to buy sandpaper in rolls. They come in various widths making it easier to match your sanding block. That way you can easily cut disposable pieces instead of partially ruining a large sheet.

Another option is to get a cabinet type system for used papers as well.

Marking the grit on smaller pieces is clever.

• Thanks 1

I buy sandpaper in rolls. The big rolls of cheaper paper are on a dowel roller which hangs on brackets over my workbench. It’s easy to slice a length off., or take the roller down if I need to cut carefully. The more expensive paper, for use on the lathe, comes on smaller rolls which stand on end in a box. Each has a paper wrapper with the grit size written on it, and an elastic band around it.

• Thanks 1

haha, i see what you did there 'less abrasive'.  u clever devil. 

i use a cheap walmart plastic storage 'drawer' thingy that i have labeled with grit ranges.  when I'm done with a piece it goes into the proper drawer.  nothing revolutionary but it works for me.

I had a box for years where I threw semi used pieces, that became a nightmare. This year I pulled it out and went through the whole thing, tossing out anything marginal or not labeled on the back (smaller pieces). I grabbed a stack of cardboard mailing envelopes from the post office and wrote grits on them with a sharpie and then put the scraps in those. New boxes of sheet paper are the same size so they store in there as well. So, it's essentially a temporary file system but its working so well I probably wont change it.

I've been buying rolls of Mirka paper lately, I used to buy sheets of 3m which are on par with the Mirka in terms of quality but A4 sheets of 3m is hellishly expensive, so £35/roll for Mirka seems the most cost effective way to buy it, although tear jerking when you need to buy a few grits at once. I'm planning to build a giant toilet roll holder for them, I'll keep that away from the toilet though!

• 1 month later...

I haven’t gotten to where I need to buy in rolls yet, but I use one of those file binders the accordion type.  

like this

AmazonBasics Expanding Organizer File Folder, Letter Size - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B25NN64/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_dlC_GTNQFb072ZD93