Fingerboard and neck questions

Ok, I got the neck and headstock cut out today, I made sure to make it 26 inches long, since its a 24 fret neck, and the 24th fret stops at 19.084 inchs i believe, i was going to make the neck 20 inches, or should it be 21 inches? i dont wanna mess it up because i thought i could get 2 necks outta the peice of wod i had, but i cant, so i cant mess up this one, so 20 inches or 21? or something else? need some help here

After dinner tonight, i am taking the rasp and removing the relif cut marks from the band saw on the headstock, then sading it down with 60 grit sand paper, then some 120, then a bit more till 220, is this a good method? i was also thinkin shep the back of the neck on the fixed belt sander at school (when i say fixed, its mounted to a stand thats bolted to the floor) will that work? and then do the rest by hand?? i took some mesurments on my Washburn neck and i outlined the 12th fret, how it curves and all, then i was just going to change the roundness at thje nut somewhat, what fits my hand the best i guess, is this a good way to do it?

Thanks, i figured i was very specific questions this time

Curtis

Does your washburn have 24 frets? I built my first guitar using my RG as a guide. It really helped in finding the measurements, overhang, pocket depth, ... The thing is, you can make a neck many different ways so it's hard to answer the question not knowing the details of your guitar. If you're copying the washburn, it would be worth it to remove the neck and measure it (if it's a bolt on). If not, you need to determine how much overhang you want (I'm assuming a bolt-on here) and end the neck heel appropriately. Have you determined how thick to make the overhang? Are you using an overhang? I think the newer JEM necks don't have an overhang, right?

Wow, that's a lot of overhang talk. Wheew!

no, the washburn is a 22 fret, but i really want a 24, i was on the tutorials a while back and found the calculation sheet for the frets and all for a 24 fret neck, i will edit this post with the link when i find it again :D but, when you say overhang, do you mean the fingerboard sitting above the body? thats what my wasburn has, and i was going to do that, but if its better for no overhang then i can do that too, just let me know

Heres The Link, its near the bottom in grey background

Curtis

Edited by Custom_Curtis

Thanks Wes

Also, I know this may sound kinda dumb, but a rasp wont hurt it right? i am talking about the headstock, where i had to do all the relief cuts, its all jagged in there, i was thinkin rasp it out, but didnt know if it would hurt it, will it or no?

Curtis

well, i just rasped it tonight, it didnt harm it i found, i couldnt get it all, but i got the bulk of it, i just dont have a finer rasp for it, my school will, and i gotta belt sand a bit of the bottom of the headstock, i messed up on my outline trace, so i gotta fix it up a bit

Curtis