what cha doin' this weekend? Instead of working on guitars... I'm building storage bench...

since I have a new tool coming next week... i figured I'd take care of my wood storage issue and build a table that would I could put it on...

3' x 8' x 7' rack.  also I mashed my middle finger so flipping people off is going to be sketchy for a while ;)

wut chew doin'?

DSCN4727.thumb.JPG.4c800f4498c5110542a947405d276302.JPGDSCN4728.thumb.JPG.2ffa5130159e0c35dc8cdc5b4ba27fda.JPGI'

45 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Ordered a couple of carve tops for 2021 builds, that's as close as I've been to guitar building for the last few weeks. Apart from that, I tidied my house and showed some prospective buyers round. God I need to move :(

wow, those tops are really cool.  why do they look 'greyish'?  probably just the camera but makes  me think they would look really cool with that vinegar/steel-wool finish they do on oak some times.

well, for the record... I cleaned my garage up a bit and re-organized it... although it doesn't look it at all!

24 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

wow, those tops are really cool.  why do they look 'greyish'?  probably just the camera but makes  me think they would look really cool with that vinegar/steel-wool finish they do on oak some times.

well, for the record... I cleaned my garage up a bit and re-organized it... although it doesn't look it at all!

I think he just whacks the contrast way up when he takes photos of the tops to bring out the curl. The bottom one for a SG2000 build I'm doing for a friend which will be red with a dark burst, the other one is not spoken for yet but I've got loads of quilt and next to no flame so it will get used for something - a couple of people are teasing about prs style builds so it will no doubt end up as one of my usual kind of builds. Def going to be building myself something in the near future though. I've got a load of parts and a set of PRS pups in a box behind me that are screaming to go in something and I haven't build myself a guitar for ages :( 

That's a nice space you've got there. is that a double garage that you've built an interior in? Most houses in the UK come with 5.5 x 2.5m garages, I'm always jealous of just how much foot print the average house in the U.S has compared to here. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

I think he just whacks the contrast way up when he takes photos of the tops to bring out the curl. The bottom one for a SG2000 build I'm doing for a friend which will be red with a dark burst, the other one is not spoken for yet but I've got loads of quilt and next to no flame so it will get used for something - a couple of people are teasing about prs style builds so it will no doubt end up as one of my usual kind of builds. Def going to be building myself something in the near future though. I've got a load of parts and a set of PRS pups in a box behind me that are screaming to go in something and I haven't build myself a guitar for ages :( 

That's a nice space you've got there. is that a double garage that you've built an interior in? Most houses in the UK come with 5.5 x 2.5m garages, I'm always jealous of just how much foot print the average house in the U.S has compared to here. 

right on.  that will make a lovely prs. 

yes - two stall garage.  it feels quite cramped but I guess I'm just not great about efficiently using my space.  On the other hand... that saw stop... it is so easy to fold up and goes to a vertical position where it's really only about 15" x 40" footprint (or thereabouts).  That is the most well designed tool I have for sure!

I'm exhausted from working on this storage setup.  not looking forward to finishing either cause I'm going to have to temporarily move my entire wood pile to install it.  am looking forward to being done with it all tho!

ha first world problems, not having to worry about efficiency of space 😆  

I have also been thinking about wood storage for I move workshops as I'm fed up with having it stacked in my office, unless I end up with a really big office that is (which I doubt). I figured these free standing units are probably the best bang for my buck at £150, I see a lot of woodworkers using them, even seen a couple of acoustic builders using them as workbenches. They're 1920t x 1830w x 610d so deep enough for tops and body blanks, neck blanks would either have to be stickered across or be poking out probably unstickered. When I considered that timber from my local yard to build my workbench cost £200 PAR, and I actually had to make the thing, these things seem like a bargain.

1252764616_ScreenShot2020-10-05at01_18_25.thumb.png.b502d61a881c32a4c90c16f684cca7ce.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

ha first world problems, not having to worry about efficiency of space 😆  

I have also been thinking about wood storage for I move workshops as I'm fed up with having it stacked in my office, unless I end up with a really big office that is (which I doubt). I figured these free standing units are probably the best bang for my buck at £150, I see a lot of woodworkers using them, even seen a couple of acoustic builders using them as workbenches. They're 1920t x 1830w x 610d so deep enough for tops and body blanks, neck blanks would either have to be stickered across or be poking out probably unstickered. When I considered that timber from my local yard to build my workbench cost £200 PAR, and I actually had to make the thing, these things seem like a bargain.

1252764616_ScreenShot2020-10-05at01_18_25.thumb.png.b502d61a881c32a4c90c16f684cca7ce.png

but why buy one when you can spend twice as much + several hours to build one that will be totally not moveable when you eventually move???  I mean... I spent $150 on lumber and spent all day building a giant structure I can't take with me!!  He he...

but now I'll have so much space for wood (go buy some more and get it drying)... and more importantly not have to take down a pile to get to the piece I need.  Plus an epic cnc bench that I can enclose later on for lower noise/safety/less-dust.  and I built it with the bench at the height where I can use it for an out-feed on my tablesaw if needed.  It's also 6" taller than my other bench so might be nice on the back once in a while.  All that said... I am totally beat and will be hurting at work tomorrow so probably just should have bought some like your pic!!!

oops I did it again... I bought some more wood, load-ed in my truck... oh baby baby

ok, I'll stop now.  anywho... one pice curly tops?  you betcha

one side has some worm holes... how deep could they go?  anyone know?

DSCN4730.thumb.JPG.d48498f082641658530c44b5475bbd0b.JPG

but the other side is tasty times two...

DSCN4733.thumb.JPG.f38cc6c9f1b2aa9cd5abfacc509d6a89.JPG

DSCN4732.thumb.JPG.bd57ceaf008d1c858930bec33a0fc589.JPG

and the other half of that board...

DSCN4739.thumb.JPG.8bab001950e9524d80654c71fdccd609.JPG

DSCN4743.thumb.JPG.5b15274f81af41448a74056241f1d37c.JPG

DSCN4744.thumb.JPG.ddaa97ecb8ff0d32d18b4fc9ab6de346.JPG

15 1/2" wide!!!

DSCN4745.thumb.JPG.961d0b499044637ba16c72b0cd25134d.JPG

while I was there some basswood caught my eye as well... didn't even know there was a figured variety!

DSCN4734.thumb.JPG.0e5ac5cf1d834ccf33120006ad4571b6.JPG

DSCN4735.thumb.JPG.51ebb1eea3ac8c1fed993a12588f9db9.JPG

DSCN4736.thumb.JPG.b5312811f27b64d7eef6ecbc001eeee1.JPG

also this is my colossal wood storage unit and new bench

DSCN4746.thumb.JPG.0aee662f719b0320cdf949961d1b2f7b.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ADFinlayson said:

That is some epic looking maple, some of the curls seem to stretch all the way across the board, surprising how few defects that board has considering the size of it.

agreed.  I didn't even put anything on it to show the grain.  really some outstanding stuff.  there was a 12" board below this one... and I didn't want to be a glutton!  Gonna keep hitting this place every other week cause that has to eventually dry up!

12 hours ago, mistermikev said:

but the other side is tasty times two...

Amen.

12 hours ago, mistermikev said:

how deep could they go?

They could go all the way all the way to the other side. I have had boards with worm holes just below and parallel to the surface that traveled eight inches before diving back down below the surface. They add character, and just think: you are re-purposing wood that used to be someone's home.

SR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Amen.

They could go all the way all the way to the other side. I have had boards with worm holes just below and parallel to the surface that traveled eight inches before diving back down below the surface. They add character, and just think: you are re-purposing wood that used to be someone's home.

SR

hehe, those extravagent worms - living in flamed maple homes! 

in most pieces it's out near the edge, or near the 20" mark, so hoping it wouldn't show up in a carve... but ya neva know!

14 minutes ago, Workingman said:

Damn, you could make a killer upright bass back from that.  Flatback, that is.

well... no, I couldn't... but i imagine someone with the right skills could - hehe.  Had not even thought about that... I imagine one would need one helluva bandsaw to resaw that piece!  Perhaps someday my skills  would approach that... and I would love to try playing an upright! 

• Like 1