Tele - Low Cut and 50s/modern switches !

aboubou

Hello every one !

I'm building a tele guitar, and I would like to have some nice electronic feature. Like a low cut on a mini toggle switch (+-160Hz), and the possibility to switch 50s/modern wiring via a mini toggle switch too. I'll use a Schaller megaswitch M.
But I really don't know how to configure it right, and which cap to choose. Any advise is welcome.

Here is the incomplete wiring diagram... if some one could help me to fill it, it would be very appreciated ! :-)

Amaury

schaller tele wiring megaswitch M to fill.jpg

11 hours ago, aboubou said:

switch 50s/modern wiring via a mini toggle

What are you classing as '50s' and 'modern' defiitions of the Telecaster wiring scheme? Do you mean these two variants?

11 hours ago, aboubou said:

Here is the diagram from Schaller.

There's something very wrong with the way that diagram has been presented. There aren't enough solder tabs drawn on the Megaswitch, and nearly all of them are shown bridged together which would be completely incorrect. The Schaller product page for the Megaswitch has more detail regarding what the wiring scheme actually should be.

Hi, 

No I don't mean "dark tone" like early tele, but 50s wiring, like Gibson did, I think. 

The full shema that I post is taken from the website that you post (official schaller site...) So I think it's ok. Visualy it's not clear cause there are two soldering sides, that are mixed on the drawing. Search a picture on the net and you will understand. 

The only difference between the Gibson 50s/modern wiring variants is how the tone circuit is connected to the volume pot. In the 50s style the tone circuit is attached to the toggle switch/wiper (outgoing) side of the volume pot. On the modern wiring the tone circuit is attached to the pickup/hot (incoming) side of the volume pot. Adapting for the Telecaster where the relative positions of the toggle switch and pickups are different to a Les Paul, something like this should do it:

image.png

2 hours ago, aboubou said:

The full shema that I post is taken from the website that you post (official schaller site...) So I think it's ok. Visualy it's not clear cause there are two soldering sides, that are mixed on the drawing. Search a picture on the net and you will understand. 

Yes. I was more highlighting that the diagram by itself does not give the full details about the wiring scheme and that it shouldn't be used to as-is when constructing the circuit.

OK, how about this:

image.png

The capacitor value will be very dependent on the surrounding circuitry. Caps are cheap. If I were you I'd just buy a handful of different values ranging from 0.001uF to 0.047uF and try them in the guitar until you find one that sounds right to your ears.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello !
I finally found the time to achieve my project. I used this diagram, with 3 caps 0,022Ă¹Â :

tele-wiring.png

And unfortunately it doesn't work like it should. The 2 mini toggle switches are totally ineffective, and the positions of the 5way switch are not ok.

I should have:

1 bridge
2 bridge and neck out of phase parallel
3 bridge and neck in phase parallel
4 bridge and neck in phase in series
5 neck

And I have:

1 bridge
2 neck with no treble
3 bridge and neck: parallel or serie I don't know
4 bridge
5 neck