Looking to restore a guitar

Hey,

New to the forum. But I've got a question. Over the next three years I'd like to start restoring an old beat up vintage electric guitar of some sort. I don't want to spend a lot of money (obviously the more I spend the better position I'll start off in generally). But do any of you have any suggestions for a good first project guitar? What about resourses for restoration?

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to our world!

As a great affordable first project, let me suggest that you purchase a Strat or Tele "kit" - they are available online many places...some shops even carry them.

This process will teach you lessons that you just can't learn anywhere else. Assembly, electronics, finishing, and set-up of a guitar almost from scratch. Once you've done that not only will you have an indepth undstanding behind the mechanics of a guitar, but you'll be able to make a much better decision as to what type of "restoration" you'll want to tackle...IE: broken headstock, or just a worn finish and old electronics.

That's what got me going - and I still have that first guitar!