My first scratch build ever

4 minutes ago, David Ivy said:

Thank you ADFinlayson,

I appreciate the advise.

I am going to have to heat up the frets one by one and remove them.

Then sand the fretboard down and take a little bit more off of the back of the neck to make it less thick.

It feels like a baseball bat Lol...

Be cautious how you go about it. I did this a while ago and got impatient and caused myself a whole lot of work. My LPC3

Thank you Crusader, I don't know where the piece went. I didn't even notice it chipped off until I check the neck to make sure I got the wooden shims that I glued under the nut to raise it Then saw it was missing a piece.

I think the fretboard was to thick to begin with because I didn't plan the neck blank when I got it.

So it was too thick from the start. Another lesson learned the hard way.

good news is - looks like your chip is only down to about where a normal fretboard would be.  bad news is... that's a lot of wood to remove by hand.  Personally, I'd try to mitigate some of that with a router and router sled first... but that's me (lazy).  It's all just an opportunity to learn a few things.  guitar is looking great tho so... you got this.

1 hour ago, David Ivy said:

Thanks MisterMikeV !

I'm going to take my time fixing this. But we got hit by a hurricane last night and we are without power. So no power tools for now. And as we all know you can't use a soldiering iron without electricity. Maybe a few days before I can do anything to it.

sorry to hear that... keep safe.

Yes I am well, working.

The company I work for was not affected by the storm.

I have been charging my phone at work.

I can't wait til they have the power back on. We take for granted all the comforts we have like hot showers after a long days work, or cooking food on an electric stove and so on.

Thank you Bizman62 .

• Like 1

@David Ivy don't haste! One at a time should be enough... Or, you end up like myself thinking if I should redo the neck of my first build. If I managed to get it to the level of my current build, I'd then have to redo the neck of the second one as well. Oh, but I've already done that, a re-redo might not hurt, though!

@bizman62 I am wanting to fix the neck of my SG first.

Then I want to build a Stratocaster, which is a different neck style all together.

I know everybody in the guitar building community knows this.

I also have a Tele that I built the body out of pine and bought a replacement tele neck. But the pine was too soft and the string tention pulled the neck up. So I want to build a Tele body as well.

Edited by David Ivy

@David Ivy different style indeed. However, since you're building for yourself I suggest you to think if a certain neck profile makes you play differently which may open new fields of creativity, or would you rather play on a neck that just is you.

• Like 1

@Bizman62I play store bought gibson epiphones and fender teles and starts. I like playing both.

When I build a Gibson style guitar I would like it to be as close to a Gibson as I can without copyright infringement. I eventually want to try my own body shapes and breadstick shapes. But there are so many out there that even originality is almost a copy of something that's already been done.

Edited by David Ivy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, David Ivy said:

Yes I am well, working.

The company I work for was not affected by the storm.

I have been charging my phone at work.

I can't wait til they have the power back on. We take for granted all the comforts we have like hot showers after a long days work, or cooking food on an electric stove and so on.

Thank you Bizman62 .

this is kind of a rolla coaster reply - at first I'm like "what?  power out everywhere and you still have to work??!?" then I read the part about charging the cell and thought "well I spose that whole workin' thing is pretty fortunate!"

hehe.  I always keep some candles around for power outtages... but here in az if it happens in the summer - BRUTAL!

50 minutes ago, David Ivy said:

@Bizman62I play store bought gibson epiphones and fender teles and starts. I like playing both.

When I build a Gibson style guitar I would like it to be as close to a Gibson as I can without copyright infringement. I eventually want to try my own body shapes and breadstick shapes. But there are so many out there that even originality is almost a copy of something that's already been done.

on that note... you are going to want to go over to mylespaul.com and do some searching on 'bartlet plans' and also '59 burst plans'.  there are some guys there (a few visit here sometimes) that take 'as close to the original' to a whole nutha level.  there are documents over there that were drawn from actual 59 bursts and such.  they take it down to the exact placement of the control cavities and everything.  It's really obsessive and I respect the hell out of it.  Anywho, if you want to get close that's a great source for info - just thought you might appreciate.

6 minutes ago, David Ivy said:

@mistermikev I bet it is brutal.  The hurricane brought a cold front with it so at least there is that.

We are not burning up without Air conditioning, Lol...

I'm told it gets pretty brutal in Louisiana too... but I recon not this time of year anyway, right?  Usually in AZ if the power is going out it's gonna happen during the monsoon which likely means it's not that hot (fortunately).  Anywho, have to clean up the shop and organize the tools while you wait it out!!

1 hour ago, David Ivy said:

I play store bought gibson epiphones and fender teles and starts. I like playing both.

When I build a Gibson style guitar I would like it to be as close to a Gibson as I can without copyright infringement.

Fully understood. If a Gibby neck makes you play one way and a Fender neck another way, it's good for creativity. Also, copying is a good way to learn the basics, both in playing and building guitars as long as you understand why something is good practice.