My first scratch build ever

On 10/10/2020 at 12:42 PM, David Ivy said:

This is my first true scratch build.

An SG junior with a P90 pickup and wraparound bridge. One tone & one volume knob.

1010201431.jpg

1010201432.jpg

love it.  looks like some walnut... lovely... one of those in my future.  s/b cool to watch this come alive.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, David Ivy said:

Yes Mister Mike V.

It is walnut, the body is one solid piece and the neck is one piece.

Thanks for the positive feed back. I appreciate it.

once piece ftw.  I love one piece... not only is it cool as all get out... but much easier!  cudos.

• Thanks 1

Yes Sir !

Thanks.  I am liking one piece bodies. That's the way to go if you can get planks that big. I had to loose a little off of the rounded back ,but I just move the template to make it fit the width of the board.

And I changed the headstock angel slightly to fit the height of the board.

I made it work with I have.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, David Ivy said:

Yes Sir !

Thanks.  I am liking one piece bodies. That's the way to go if you can get planks that big. I had to loose a little off of the rounded back ,but I just move the template to make it fit the width of the board.

And I changed the headstock angel slightly to fit the height of the board.

I made it work with I have.

that's the true diy spirit "I made it work with what I had"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Ivy said:

make it fit

Exactly! If there's an urge for an exact copy then buying the original is the only way. Minor changes in angles, shape and size where they don't affect playability, structural integrity or the overall looks are fully acceptable where the resources so require.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I slotted the fretboard Tuesday.

I glue a strip over the truss rod last night tonight I glued the fretboard on the neck & routed the neck pocket in the body.

Sorry there are no pictures but my phone says I don't have enough space for any more images.

Edited by David Ivy
Phone autocorrect

Okay,

I have a lot of the hard work done. I sanded the body with 80 grit, 120 then 220 & 320.

Sanded the neck and laid in dot fret markers of red oak , radioused the fretboard & put in the frets & I used toothpicks for the side dots.

For my very first neck build I am very proud of what I have accomplished.

Routed and carved the neck pocket for a perfect tight fit.

1018202031.jpg

1018202032.jpg

1018202033.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David Ivy said:

Thank you ScottR! I appreciate any feedback.

You're welcome.

Does that walnut have some figure in it, or is that just weird reflections? You've got to love what Tru-oil does to walnut grain, it really makes it rich looking.

Is there a story behind your fret markers 11-13?

SR

It's got great figure in it.

I Love using tru oil as a clear coat. There is a story about the 11th and 13the fret markers.

I miscounted the mark for the 12th fret and drill out the place and wasn't until I was looking at the finished fretboard when I realized I made a booboo. So I put one dot for the 12th fret and for the aesthetics of it put 2 dots on the 13th fret so they look purposeful. And that's the story lol. It's definitely a learning exsperience.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, David Ivy said:

I miscounted the mark for the 12th fret and drill out the place and wasn't until I was looking at the finished fretboard when I realized I made a booboo. So I put one dot for the 12th fret and for the aesthetics of it put 2 dots on the 13th fret so they look purposeful.

That's a great fix! Actually I didn't notice it before @ScottR mentioned it. Then, while waiting for your answer, I thought about your art and wondered if the dice face of 5 would have a meaning in the Rebel Cowboys mythology... You'd better come up with a fancy story other than confessing you've made a mistake.

19 hours ago, David Ivy said:

So I put one dot for the 12th fret and for the aesthetics of it put 2 dots on the 13th fret so they look purposeful.

Excellent solution! I like the look, and it does bring a domino to mind.

Recovering from mistakes and accidents with skill and flair is a giant part of this hobby of ours. There is always at least one of those waiting to pounce when you least expect it.

SR

• Thanks 1