plastic headstock vaneer, alternatives that are free

Hello,

so now i am embarking on what i expect to be a treacherous journey, to build a guitar neck. i have the headstock shape, a pre cut fretboard and truss rod. i have some scrap practice wood which i will use for a test run. i heard that black plastic is used on some guitars and i would prefer something that does not chip easily. ABS seems to be a popular one. i was thinking more about free recycled plastic. icecream tubs are made of a flimsy plastic and usually white. i was thinking about a black plastic. anyone here used anything like that? not having any income at the moment i dont want to spend unless i have too. 

thanks

simon

Plastic on wood can be problematic as it may not want to stick to glue. ABS is popular as bindings and purflings as it can be glued (rather melted) to wood with acetone. You can even mix a glue like slurry by melting ABS into acetone.

"Greasy" glues like polythene (plastic bags), polypropylene (folders etc.) and PVC (vinyl records) can be challenging especially if they're solid and shiny - similar to metals or glass. There's ways but the vibrations or a shock can knock the plastic off. Sticker glue might work at start but especially on bare wood it will dry and fail.

There's lots of advice about gluing plastic onto wood. When you find a piece of sacrificable piece of plastic find out what it is and search for the suitable glue. Considering your lack on income notice that the glue may cost more than an alternative method!

Although a headstock veneer adds a tad of luxury to the build it's not necessary. Big names like Gibson have relied on black paint since day one.

Oh, one potential source for black ABS is the cover of a laptop! The base parts have all kind of ridges but the display cover is mostly flat on the inside as well.

• Like 2

Giving the headstock veneer alternatives a second thought, why limit yourself to solid and shiny ones? Soaking a piece of fabric or even paper (wallpaper, serviette, child's drawing) in clearcoat/lacquer and using the same clearcoat both as glue and finish can add unprecedented dimensions to your design. The Paisley Red Tele might be one of the most famous examples of that approach.