Strat style guitar 2nd scratch build

12 hours ago, David Ivy said:

I have started a strategy style body and neck.

Auto-correction?

Anyhow, looks interesting. I'm a bit worried about the truss rod channel, though, as it's both off center and has those holes on the side. That may cause issues.

17 hours ago, David Ivy said:

@Bizman62 #1 I tried to drill out some of the wood first so the router  didn't have to work as hard. #2 the side of the board that I used to rout against the fence on my router table was not planed to a straight edge.

I hope that it will work , but worse case sinarrio I have another piece of wood. I could start again if need be.

9 minutes ago, David Ivy said:

worse case sinarrio I have another piece of wood. I could start again if need be

That's the joy of bolt-on necks!

Drilling the wood to save the router is a good idea indeed. However for the truss rod cavity a few shallow passes aren't too much of an effort compared to routing control cavities and such.

The channel looks like you've routed it using the side of the neck as a guide, and the neck is wedge shaped. If you want to fix it, it would be easy at this point. Simply glue a strip to fill the channel and reroute.

If the neck is already wedge shaped you can use a fence to lean your router against:

kuva.png.3fea9ccdf136aaaa05d3bf2cebc2f316.png

If you want to save the neck, what I would do is router out the bodgy area and glue a piece in, make sure the glue is completely dry (ie. continue the next day) then re-router the truss rod channel. It will be under the fretboard, never seen and you will completely forget its there. Use the fence technique that Bizman62 suggested

That's great but I would have used a router to ensure the channel is clean and straight using @Bizman62's idea of using a fence (because the repair would be off-centre) However if you're happy with the repair its all good

Just for the record here is a picture of my truss rod jig. I do a single action truss rod so it has a curve (ie. up and down not sideways) For a dual action rod it just needs to be straight. It takes a lot of time to build jigs and templates, in fact you can spend more time making them than the actual guitar. But you absolutely need them to make sure your routering goes according to plan (By the way I use routers for EVERYTHING) A lot of people use hand-tools but I mess things up using them

When I first started I ruined 4 necks before I got it right but at least I was only using cheap local timber! Whatever you do, don't rush things. When I do this groove I do several passes at about 2mm deep each time. Every time I do one I am on-edge, totally stressed out that I will stuff it up. Notice I keep the bench clear so the lead doesn't get snagged on anything. And by the way the jig is secured to the bench with screws underneath the neck

This jig took a tremendous amount of effort to build, experimenting and coming up with ideas on how to get best results (so the trimmer glides smoothly and stays centred etc.) I hope you don't follow the exact way I do things. You have to figure out what works for you and I'm sure you will find ideas if you google around

IMG_1504.JPG.2c9fcad432093f7b1d21639a5899ebb5.JPG

2 hours ago, David Ivy said:

Although the best way would be to route a truss rod channel first ,then find the center and draw the line and cut out the neck shape accordingly.

Pretty much yes. Although you can draw the centerline first aligned with a true straight side of your blank and use the adjustable side fence attached on the router base:

kuva.png.09b764a5b50da86250d58f92ac40d3ed.png

Edited by Bizman62
Added lines to the image
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, David Ivy said:

I want to try and salvage the neck I am working on.

The patching strip looks fine. Believe or not, trying to figure out how to help you recover from your mistakes helps the rest of us as well. One lifetime would not be long enough to face all the potential issues in our own builds.

The last time I made a similar patch was to replace rotten wood in a window pane.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I paint a thinned layer of petroleum jelly on the top edge of my truss rod, place it in the slot, and tape over the slot with that super thin transparent scotch tape. Then I trim it to with in 1/8th inch (couple off mms) of the slot, spread the glue and leave the tape on. Overkill maybe, but it makes me feel good.

SR

That petroleum jelly sounds like a good idea! I've been covering the truss rod with a similarly trimmed strip of masking tape. As per a hint on a Crimson video I've also rolled a few pieces of masking tape on the truss rod to prevent rattling. There's space for those as the truss rod sits a hair deep.

@ScottR@Bizman62 thank you for the helpful tips I will have to try those on the next neck that I build.

I am also putting together a tele from parts but i made the body out of one piece of poplar. Then I used Rit dye and dyed it black sanded that back til it was just in the grain then dyed it royal blue over that. I think it looks nice.

1115201245b.jpg

1116202133a.jpg

1110200732.jpg

• Like 1

For some reason the body colour now reminds me of the opening phrase of the Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler: "I was wearing my powder-blue suit... I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. I was everything the well-dressed private detective ought to be." Double checking what "powder blue" should look like revealed that the hue on the body is darker than the Wiki examples. The Finnish translation says "Gunpowder blue" which may look somewhat closer... Anyhow, the body looks cool!

I also like the self made wooden fret markers.