I am starting the rough cut!

PRSpoggers

So I am going to get a router, bandsaw, saw rasp and spoke shave and a truss rod this weekend! I have traced out my squire neck that I am refretting as a template and I am so excited! I have my basic design and I want basically put the truss rod in first, the rough cut, the mark out where the nut will be and where the tuners will be. Then I will glue the fretboard, carve the neck and we are in business!

I highly recommend you get yourself a set of routing templates, I made the mistake of drawing round an existing neck on my first neck build and it ended up less than accurate... You can get templates for all of the common shapes online.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/routing-templates/routing-template-for-56-tele.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2020-11-gp&pref_currency=P&shipcalc=UK&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqdP9BRDVARIsAGSZ8AnjfR3zpDYb85i0kzjSzGZ6eD75BjsgxicokIJsrJIpbm-Gc6DOt6EaAuEPEALw_wcB

1 hour ago, ADFinlayson said:

I highly recommend you get yourself a set of routing templates, I made the mistake of drawing round an existing neck on my first neck build and it ended up less than accurate... You can get templates for all of the common shapes online.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/routing-templates/routing-template-for-56-tele.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2020-11-gp&pref_currency=P&shipcalc=UK&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqdP9BRDVARIsAGSZ8AnjfR3zpDYb85i0kzjSzGZ6eD75BjsgxicokIJsrJIpbm-Gc6DOt6EaAuEPEALw_wcB

Yea I was going to get an actual template from stew mac actually! Is the strat neck template any good?

37 minutes ago, PRSpoggers said:

Yea I was going to get an actual template from stew mac actually! Is the strat neck template any good?

I posted the link to stewmac because I know you're in the US. I'm in England so I buy my templates Gitabo in Germany and G&W in Portugal. I very much doubt there is anything wrong with stewmac templates, though. Another good one on your side of the pond is Potvin guitars templates 

37 minutes ago, PRSpoggers said:

I posted the link to stewmac because I know you're in the US. I'm in England so I buy my templates Gitabo in Germany and G&W in Portugal. I very much doubt there is anything wrong with stewmac templates, though. Another good one on your side of the pond is Potvin guitars templates