What type of truss rod do I need?

PRSpoggers

4 hours ago, PRSpoggers said:

I am going to buy a stew mac hot rod truss rod (18 inches for an electric) but will I be able to adjust it like I can on my PRS or my strat? I dont know if the way I install it will be the way I will be able to adjust it. I'm making a set neck guitar, so would this type of truss rod be acceptable for it?

As you are doing a neck build, then, to an extent, you can decide where and what type of adjuster to use.  That said, for a set neck, then generally it is easier to have a head-stock adjustable one.  As @Bizman62 says, the type with the hexagon allen key adjuster is therefore the type to go for if you are looking at the Hot Rods.

This type:

hgN0hjll.jpg

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

?

I think what @mattharris75 is raising is that the OP is asking general questions about guitar building in the forum where work in progress and build threads are discussed.

@PRSpoggers - I think your query will be better served if it's posted in a section of the forum where it will get the most attention. Queries like 'what tool do I need to achieve X' and 'which truss rod would you recommend' are better suited to the Tools and Shop Chat area or the Design Bar area respectively. The In Progress and Finished Work areas is primarily intended for documenting your build and sharing your construction journey with everyone. Once you've started a build thread where you're logging your work-in-progress diary I see no issues with asking for advice within that thread, but standalone questions are better located in the forums for which they were intended.

I'll move these couple of threads for you :thumb:

• Like 2