Horse shaped guitar

Hello!

I am impressed with the work of the members of the forum. It looks like masterpieces are being made here.

I decided to share my work with you. I will be glad to your advice.

To be precise, the concept I thought of only for the neck. The neck will be one piece of maple, with a traditional truss rod on the back of the neck (Fenderstyle). The headstock is in the shape of a horse. At the twelfth fret, there is a curly inlay. What the body will be like, I do not yet know.

I started making the neck in the workshop of my friend. This is our local guitar master. That was three years ago. Here's what I got:

1.SAM_1320.JPG

2.SAM_1322.JPG

3.SAM_1325.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vitaly_V said:

Strange, for some reason one of the photos turned over

That has happened to me as well when I use my tablet for a camera.

Other than that I must say I love the headstock! It's not too different to the original, yet the horse's head makes the rest look like it's a chesspiece rather than a slightly modded Strat head.

BTW I seem to own a similar plane. Adjusting it is a nightmare, don't you agree?

11 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

BTW I seem to own a similar plane. Adjusting it is a nightmare, don't you agree?

I agree with you. I do not use this planer for finishing.

10 hours ago, ScottR said:

I like it!

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Charlie H 72 said:

With the right tuner knobs it will look like a horse with a fancy knotted mane- ebony, maybe? Or cream plastic?

A good idea. Perhaps I will use it.

I have a few thoughts on further building the guitar. But I can't form the final design out of them yet.

For example, fret markers can be made in the shape of horseshoes. Or in a hollow-body horseshoe-shaped f-hole.
Also thought of mustang body. But I don't wish use its shape.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vitaly_V said:

I have a few thoughts on further building the guitar. But I can't form the final design out of them yet.

For example, fret markers can be made in the shape of horseshoes. Or in a hollow-body horseshoe-shaped f-hole.
Also thought of mustang body. But I don't wish use its shape.

i could see it going a lot of dif directions... chess piece inlays, makaray chess board top, rope binding, horseshoe burn in... horseshoe inlays sounds cool.  looking fwd to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I think I forgot to tell you how I made the truss rod.

I used a 5mm steel bar. I sliced the threads on both sides rod. On one side I riveted a lock nut, and on the other side I screwed on an adjusting nut. Before installing truss rod in the neck guitar, I put a shrink wrapped on the rod.

DSC01120.jpg

DSC01126.JPG

DSC01167.JPG

DSC01170.JPG

DSC01174.JPG

DSC01175.JPG

DSC01183.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Kirchen has been using a pine Tele for decades. Pine body, pine neck, no truss rod! And it works, both tonally and structurally.

Pine can be rough and splintery when you use power tools. Not only that, you never know where a resin pocket lurks, covering all your blades with a sticky mess which obviously can be a problem in mass production. There's also a big difference in hardness between the lighter "summer growth" and the darker "winter growth" which can cause issues in leveling the surface. Then again, if you manage to get slow grown pine with very tight annual rings, it can be about as good as any wood can get.

As with any wood species it's not only about the choice of wood, it's also and possibly even more about the properties of the very piece of wood.

On 12/29/2020 at 3:11 AM, Vitaly_V said:

I have heard a lot of comments against the use of pine in the guitar. I have also seen many beautiful pine guitars.

I am interested in your opinion on the pine body.

I hate working with pine for all the reasons @Bizman62 lists. But I've always heard that it has great tone and is very resonant. Great sounding for blues.

SR