tele for a cop...

7 hours ago, mistermikev said:

all buffed... 

all buffed

note to self... need to change default video output settings since y'all don't allow mp4... also why don't y'all allow mp4??

Everything is cached to AWS and is paid for monthly. That said, a big JPG can be larger than an MP4. I'll look at files by size limits later if I remember!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Everything is cached to AWS and is paid for monthly. That said, a big JPG can be larger than an MP4. I'll look at files by size limits later if I remember!

right on.  well only 76mb but it adds up.  I'm the guy who always complains about email attachments and 760tb on my network so... I get it.  the odd thing is it wouldn't let me embed from youtube at first.  Just pasting the url into the reply and hitting enter at the end of it... worked just now, but yesterday did not.  Perhaps because it was new to youtube and internet crawlers cacheing it or something, no idea.  either way - crisis averted!  lol.  thanks for the reply.

https://youtu.be/zA_A4x0QCBM

so here is another test.  just uploaded and even in preview doesn't show vid.  I guess we'll see if after an hour it shows up.  

this is a very poorly shot vid of my cavity covers.  really worked for these as the heigh of my cavity was down to the mm to get a 4p5t and push pull to fit.

They also had to match the back contour... so had to approximate the sm radius on a smaller scale.  They are so thin and delicate... kept burning through while milling or finish sanding and struggled to get the height just right.

https://youtu.be/zA_A4x0QCBM

edit: odd - now sm link works. it is identical link too (just above here)... odd.  one above still not working.  so it would seem the on enter event that is triggered was dif in an initial post.  perhaps next time just post w/o it and immediately edit to embed video.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Looking back through your YouTube videos, I absolutely loved the sound of that (appropriately) Police Fuzz. Old video, but that tone man. Awesome.

well that's very kind of you to say!  been a while since I built a pedal... someday the 'south' will rise again.  that one was basically a modded out germanium fuzz face.  the flashing lights we trouble as had to work really hard to make my own slow flash circuit so that they wouldn't make an audible pulse.  good times!

That's always a problem when introducing hard digital signals into one with sensitive gain-y analogue next to it. I had the same problems with a simple LED flasher for the Aria Pro II SB-1000 preamp retrofits I make. I did a batch using a simple flasher with what I thought was adequate decoupling and separation. Nope. Click click click. Then I went to a (Linear?) IC used for "breathing" LED management. Nope. Brrzzzybrrrzybrrzyclick.

Germanium fuzzes just rule. I built a basic fuzz back when I want 14yo for a friend at school at the time, and he's still using it. That's literally 30+ years which is crazy! There's something so on the edge of tearing itself to bits or falling apart anyway with that sort of fuzz.

58 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

That's always a problem when introducing hard digital signals into one with sensitive gain-y analogue next to it. I had the same problems with a simple LED flasher for the Aria Pro II SB-1000 preamp retrofits I make. I did a batch using a simple flasher with what I thought was adequate decoupling and separation. Nope. Click click click. Then I went to a (Linear?) IC used for "breathing" LED management. Nope. Brrzzzybrrrzybrrzyclick.

Germanium fuzzes just rule. I built a basic fuzz back when I want 14yo for a friend at school at the time, and he's still using it. That's literally 30+ years which is crazy! There's something so on the edge of tearing itself to bits or falling apart anyway with that sort of fuzz.

yup, that was pretty much my experience too.  initially tried just simple flashing leds and it was horrible.  then ended up using a ramping circuit plus attenuation to get it to be fairly quiet.  

afa the fuzz circuit... almost cant go wrong with some good germanium.  was using those russian mp40 in the diy community long before dunlop and the bonamassa fuzz caught on to them.  at the time bought a whole bag of them and sifted through for optimal gain... it's a fine line between fuzz bliss and motor-boating oscillations!  also had a mid boost based on the schematic from some fulltone fuzz that I spliced into the circuit along with some roger mayer alterations... and an external bias control.  That's about it.  I'm a big fan of fuzz but admittedly haven't played with it in a while... I'm on a digital vein with my axefx at the moment.  

Same here. My Helix is just luxury end to end.

I've got a bunch of big ol' germanium signal diodes somewhere, and I'd love the option of having a proper fuzz in one of the effects loops. I've also been digging the Pladask Draume for that same reason. I'm willing to bet that @curtisa would agree. Apologies for the derail, will post the YouTube link as a link and not an embed,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzrWs6YHQyQ

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Same here. My Helix is just luxury end to end.

I've got a bunch of big ol' germanium signal diodes somewhere, and I'd love the option of having a proper fuzz in one of the effects loops. I've also been digging the Pladask Draume for that same reason. I'm willing to bet that @curtisa would agree. Apologies for the derail, will post the YouTube link as a link and not an embed,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzrWs6YHQyQ

no prob on the derail.  always encouraged.

signal diodes... well those are more for clipping, perhaps you know this but i was referring to ge transistors.  afa I know there aren't any straight fuzzes that would employ (ge diodes) other than a big muff... which is another fav of mine... but a whole dif animal from a fuzz face/tonebender.

pladask draume - if I had to guess... sounds like an analog delay and an analog flanger with some mods.  v nice.  I did my own version of a ce2 that I modded out with some vibe options that could get violent... flange side reminds me a bit of that.  Nothing quite like expensive chips.  I've got a few real mn3005/7 for when I get the itch.  in fact u r kind of making me itch with that video... but talk about another time pit!  

Yeah, purely for clipping. I got great results with variable assymmetrical clipping with germanium, but never tried working with transistors. I never stayed heavily into electronics beyond what I found necessary, so I'm just wet-toeing electronics these days. I think that the Draume is some kind of distorted broken verb. I love it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Yeah, purely for clipping. I got great results with variable assymmetrical clipping with germanium, but never tried working with transistors. I never stayed heavily into electronics beyond what I found necessary, so I'm just wet-toeing electronics these days. I think that the Draume is some kind of distorted broken verb. I love it.

right on.  it's interesting to think that there really is only one guitar fx... they are all delays on some level.  reverb is just a cascade of many very short delays... chorus is just a modulated delay... flange is just a very short delay oscillating... yet they all sound so different.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

so... in wiring up this guitar we had a marathon of murphy's law. 

issue1 getting things to fit...

the preamp literally was 1.5mm too tall, and conflicted w the output jack wire.  So I switched to a smaller full freq boost (ala stratoblaster) and wired it up.  did not like it for this build.  wrestled with myself and finally took the orig (blade based) preamp out to the garage and went at it with my dremel.  ended up hitting an output cap and it was enough that I'd have to replace it... finally got that in and sounding good.

packed in there pretty tight!

IMG_4115.thumb.JPG.6c6ed0f70241e7f5424b641a2c5b80c4.JPG

issue 2: threaded jack pin - had to switch to 4 conductor wire.  push back wire was just not flexible enough to spin and install.

issue 3: then I noticed you could see the gold jack right through the f hole.  so took it out, painted the end of it black, and put back in. 

issue 4: despite the fact that I talked to seymour duncan tech support early on and they told me "the vintage stack is wired EXACTLY the same as any other seymour"....... I found the bridge is north up and the neck is south up!  Contacted them again in case someone pounded in the poles wrong, got the sm tech from before.  he apologized profusely.  they are one of a handful of exceptions and are wired with opposing polarity.  will have to pass this pickup through my big 1/2" N52 mags to reverse polarity... will do soon.  

issue 5: start checking other positions of my wiring (two positions sounded perfect).  what I learned is... the stew mac 4p5t is wired to make contact in the EXACT OPPOSITE order of the philli luthier 4p5T.  shame on me for not checking that earlier.  so yesterday morning completely rewired the 4p5T and reinstalled... working perfect.

modified the drawing to add two resistors.  had switched to 500K pots since most positions would be humbucker... the resistors will run in parallel and knock down the 500K to 280K when either single is selected... and 200K when in middle.

1407808578_4SingleCoils-Stacked_4P5T_1Vol3wayTog_V1.4_philli.thumb.png.132045418c04220878647d37822a59fa.png

22 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Goddamnit! Right at the finish line as well.

yes, lot of great builds finishing up right now... well... still have a lot on my list.  

time to make a list:

neck pickup sitting at angle... i believe this is due to the edges rubbing the corners - what I get for trying to make the opening "just big enough" and then not using cnc to drill the pickup holes

flip polarity on the pickup

cut the string slots a hair deeper in nut

one knob is not sitting right... i think due to a 6mm post (instead of .25") on the preamp pot... anything I try to put in there is too thick... driving me nuts.  

toggle switch plate - need to take off and sand it smooth.  the ca glue I used was thick and can see some irreg at certain angles

currently setup on 10 guage strings... had to order some 9s (who the f uses 9s... well kevin does).  need to do intonnation.

general clean up - got some buffing compound in the f holes so need to go in there with a sponge

need longer screws for bridge pickup - ordered... this pickup is so tall can't get it low enough

strap pins

need to add a little instruction writeup on the modes... perhaps laminate it and stick to underside of controls.  

need to make a toggle switch tip

need to do a final photo shoot

make a video demo - this always takes me forever because I am too long winded.  

on the bright side... this fretwork was perfect.  not one buzz, action is super low.  first time I haven't needed any massage there.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:49 AM, mistermikev said:

packed in there pretty tight!

Good lord!

I hope you never have to go back in there.

My grandfather was a farmer. He had a big ol stake bed Ford farm truck, 2.5 ton maybe? Anyway, I have many memory's of him with the hood up, sitting inside the engine compartment with all kinds of room to work on it. That image has always been my guiding principal for control cavities. Leave lot's of room so you don't tap the soldering iron against stuff that don't need melting. that big ol space mostly full of air also figures in my weight reduction plan.

But that's just me. This one is yours and it's a stunner, so carry on sir!

SR

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Good lord!

I hope you never have to go back in there.

My grandfather was a farmer. He had a big ol stake bed Ford farm truck, 2.5 ton maybe? Anyway, I have many memory's of him with the hood up, sitting inside the engine compartment with all kinds of room to work on it. That image has always been my guiding principal for control cavities. Leave lot's of room so you don't tap the soldering iron against stuff that don't need melting. that big ol space mostly full of air also figures in my weight reduction plan.

But that's just me. This one is yours and it's a stunner, so carry on sir!

SR

lol allready was (in there again) this morning!  never ending electronics... still not quite happy.  so I flipped the polarity on my bridge pickup and all went great - perfect - south up now(scarry process)... sounds great as a humbucker.  now... at this point I face a conundrum because I went back in there and flipped the wires back.  still... my neck pickup in parallel mode doesn't sound right.  wracking my brain.  further complicated by the fact that I think now that I can't have the bridge wires fwd - black-white-red-green because this bridge pickup was wound opposite of neck.  and I can't have them backward...  because then I'll have the bottom coil active in certain split spots... so what I think I actually need is... lol... white-black-green-red!  lawdy... blind racing school.

big old space - wise words.  unfortunately in my case a bigger space would'nt have been weight reduction as the thing is already as fully hollow as possible on either side of the controls!.  further... any bigger and it would run into the f hole... (see below)... I did not like the idea of moving the controls... i  wanted them to be positioned right yet fully sealed/shielded (ie not going into f hole territory) and hence here we are.  the funny thing is... I do this to myself in every venue.  with pedal builds... sm thing... rarely a square cm to spare.  I would like to say I'm going to heed those wise words in the future... but I just know no matter how much space I have gonna try and get as much in as possible to my own misfortune!

NOROOM.thumb.jpg.d784e1af0c36c47855696aaa05e93b08.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

It's pressures such as these that force you to adapt and improve, job on job. Because of these wrinkles, everything you do from here will be that much better.

"This is the way", right? haha

thank you for the encouragement... I think you are absolutely spot on - it's the wrestling that makes you better - not the times it just comes together easy.  

I'm wrestling all right... wired it up white->black->green->red and it caused more issues than it solved.  so... I'm absolutely convinced wire color is right... need to go back to the multimeter and step through it inch by inch.