tele for a cop...

4 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Breja Toneworks on YT was spot on. Learnt nothing, but crossed the line anyway! 

"what I did not know at first, I learned by doing twice" billy joel 

well I must have learned the shit out of the electronics on this guitar cause I re-did it 10 times!  Odd thing is that I have done almost the sm wiring on humbuckers... did not think doing it on stacked humbuckers would really be that different... but it was.  Now I get to figure out the sm questions for a set of stacked dimarzios.  i'm told they are quite different in terms of how the coils are created.  The secondary coil is apparently an underwound coil by comparrison so... more fun to come!

I guess an upside is my wiring layout - having been redone another time... is slightly more organized.

anywho... this one is now verified...

1208080359_4SingleCoils-Stacked_4P5T_1Vol3wayTog_V1.4_philli.thumb.png.3834fb073ded2ff3af9fb78b229e1ed5.png

I've not worked with stacked pickups before, so I'm unsure if there's something specific that needs to be borne in mind with them. I'd imagine that phase can cause all sorts of issues, especially if that involves how the shielding is wired up. The Tele neck pickup mod made this spring to mind. Awfully weird in principle if you're not completely familiar with the idea.

3 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I've not worked with stacked pickups before, so I'm unsure if there's something specific that needs to be borne in mind with them. I'd imagine that phase can cause all sorts of issues, especially if that involves how the shielding is wired up. The Tele neck pickup mod made this spring to mind. Awfully weird in principle if you're not completely familiar with the idea.

well... here's my "list" of things I should have had in mind anyway... the order of the coils.  you def want to ensure you are using a top coil in every combo which means attention to the wiring order.  that also complicates polarity because to hum cancel you need the top coils of either to be opposing polarity if you are going to combine them... but if you are trying to combine the top from one with the bottom from another - then you are going to need them to be the sm polarity (and winding of course) so that the partner coil is opposite to your top coil... that's where this build got into trouble. 

Another thing that I'm just figuring out... is despite the fact that these pickups are humbuckers... they need a 250k pot.  you heard right... I'll be going in again to either replace the pot or put a resistor across it.  I was thinking about it this morning and looked at all seymour wiring diagrams for any stacked coils... surprise - all 250k.  in my current setup I'm running a 500k pot but modifying it in the 1 position (single coils position) to be 250k.  surprise position 1 sounds much more full.  to my ears 500k is just too bright and you loose some bass because of the shift.  I think ideally I want a 350k pot.

have not faced any shielding issues as everything is pretty quiet when in series or parallel mode (less so when mixing coils but that is to be expected). 

I must be a mutant for preferring the sound of buffered pickups' low impedance, and then dialling off what I don't want later. I suppose that it makes far more of a difference for players who crank the amp and play off the volume/tone pots.

Good luck with your next deep dive! I'm sure some sort of film reference would help here. Bigger boat maybe?

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

I must be a mutant for preferring the sound of buffered pickups' low impedance, and then dialling off what I don't want later. I suppose that it makes far more of a difference for players who crank the amp and play off the volume/tone pots.

Good luck with your next deep dive! I'm sure some sort of film reference would help here. Bigger boat maybe?

"I think we're going to need a bigger boat" - tru dat! 

don't get me wrong... a while back I had a les paul with an emg in the bridge and it was quite nice.  long story long - I like all sorts!

For me, I think active pickups or at least having differential buffering preamps is a necessary evil. We don't seem to get true earthing in apartments here (neutral is tied to ground in most circuits) which freaks my logic right out. It also results in annoying noise that requires ground lifting, wireless or forgetting that staccato is even a thing because even noise gates don't crush that pollution. Even passive humbuckers fall prey to this ubiquitary miasma.

For me, I think active pickups or at least having differential buffering preamps is a necessary evil. We don't seem to get true earthing in apartments here (neutral is tied to ground in most circuits) which freaks my logic right out. It also results in annoying noise that requires ground lifting, wireless or forgetting that staccato is even a thing because even noise gates don't crush that pollution. Even passive humbuckers fall prey to this ubiquitary miasma.

i had no idea.  I would likely only use actives too if that were the case for me.  I imagine any sort of home recording using a mic is nearly impossible. 

5 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Its been a problem for a long time. So much so, that using a neon electrical test screwdriver on the radiator of a previous property showed enough leakage current to illuminate the neon and make you skin tingle. 🤨

jeez... keep one hand in the pocket!

The best I can figure is that electrical problems and injuries are not common in spite of this unintuitive electrical circuitry. Perhaps Finland is where we breed Mehdi's (Electroboom).

with all those elec probs... does not make sense all that great goth metal y'all got goin on!

Back in the day when you were asking opinions for your f-hole design I thought that it would be way too long. I humbly admit that I was wrong.

The way the vertical stripes of the faux binding meet the horizontal grain pattern on the sides is mindblowingly cool! And the volute, and the radiused top. And the details...

That insanity requires a professional level photographer, there's so many details that only give a hint of their existence. A short artistic video slowly teasing every curve and detail in ultra high resolution and perfect lighting...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I know, right? That exceptionally-severe radius over the front, the volute and the super cool switch chip are what catch my eye the most. Absolutely a design that has been made your own, Mike,

very kind of you @Prostheta, that means a lot to me!

2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Back in the day when you were asking opinions for your f-hole design I thought that it would be way too long. I humbly admit that I was wrong.

The way the vertical stripes of the faux binding meet the horizontal grain pattern on the sides is mindblowingly cool! And the volute, and the radiused top. And the details...

That insanity requires a professional level photographer, there's so many details that only give a hint of their existence. A short artistic video slowly teasing every curve and detail in ultra high resolution and perfect lighting...

thank you biz!!  I will admit that without the soundboard of members here I am certain nothing I would do would be nearly as good so... this may be one of the small places I chose to stick to my guns, but I am certain there are 5 for ever one that I didn't.  You are def among the good "muses".

I appreciate the encouragement afa photos... still wasn't quite happy with them afa lighting but figured it was about the best I could do.  my secret there is I take 800 photos and 8 of them are "good enough" hehe.

4 hours ago, mistermikev said:

the encouragement afa photos... still wasn't quite happy with them afa lighting

I'd say focusing is your main issue, both the photos and the video seem to be a bit off focus. On photos the back fabric shows crisply while the guitar itself looks like shot through a softening filter. Similarly on the video you can see the stitches on the back rest of your chair, the rest being more or less blurred. If you can adjust that, a smaller aperture would provide more depth of field i.e. deepen the focused area. The downside is that a smaller aperture requires more light. A wide aperture can be used for lifting up details - the most extreme photo I've seen was about the eyes of a mosquito, both its tail and nose were blurred so the depth of field was only about a millimetre or two!

1 minute ago, Bizman62 said:

I'd say focusing is your main issue, both the photos and the video seem to be a bit off focus. On photos the back fabric shows crisply while the guitar itself looks like shot through a softening filter. Similarly on the video you can see the stitches on the back rest of your chair, the rest being more or less blurred. If you can adjust that, a smaller aperture would provide more depth of field i.e. deepen the focused area. The downside is that a smaller aperture requires more light. A wide aperture can be used for lifting up details - the most extreme photo I've seen was about the eyes of a mosquito, both its tail and nose were blurred so the depth of field was only about a millimetre or two!

well... I primarily use auto focus so... I'm gonna blame the camera!  it's a new camera so... haven't really figured it out yet.  will work on that, I do appreciate the "not sugar coating" it.  I had been planning on getting sunlight involved but was too impatient to wait for the weekend where I'm at home at sunrise... perhaps I still will take another shot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

I primarily use auto focus so... I'm gonna blame the camera!

That's a valid argument. Your auto focus seems to like dark and less shiny materials like the fabrics and the leather of your chair.

4 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

That's a valid argument. Your auto focus seems to like dark and less shiny materials like the fabrics and the leather of your chair.

well I think the actual issue is lighting.  at first I was using my flash (last two pictures are from that series) and it seems to focus good but it turns everything yellowish... so then I have some neewer led light panels and hooked those up and didn't use flash but it's still not quite enough light saturation... light doesn't diffuse enough.  also... part of the problem is I'm too stupid to bother trying to learn how to properly use a camera... just want simple.  I used to have a kodak dc400 and that thing was awesome... just point and shoot and everything is beautiful... but sadly it got dropped and then the focus was off so you'd shoot but the picture would be 2 feet above what you wanted to shoot... everything went down hill from there (several years ago)!