tele for a cop...

To me the middle one appeals the most. The figuration on the lower bout fills the entire area nicely. Then again, there's an idea on the top one as well as the longitudinal stripe matches with the neck and string lines. The royal blue with gold hardware has echoes from uniforms from the past, forceful, controlled and arrogant like the Royal Naval Officers from the sailship era!

The turquoise doesn't seem to match with the gold hardware but it may be my monitor as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

To me the middle one appeals the most. The figuration on the lower bout fills the entire area nicely. Then again, there's an idea on the top one as well as the longitudinal stripe matches with the neck and string lines. The royal blue with gold hardware has echoes from uniforms from the past, forceful, controlled and arrogant like the Royal Naval Officers from the sailship era!

The turquoise doesn't seem to match with the gold hardware but it may be my monitor as well.

right on, I love your detailed feedback.  I was actually thinking I'd do chrome hardware if I went turquoise... as it just looks great together... but I think gold would end up looking good too.  Honestly... I think all 3 of them have something going for them and any one could be a good guitar... but the turquoise really resonates w me... I just have a thing for turquoise!  (don't tell my wife)

"I was all set on the blue/purple until you showed me the turquoise" - his words.  hehe.  So... need to find some wood that I can use for a headstock/fretboard for that one as I want to keep the matching wood with one of the tops it came from.  Will use that wood for my prototype so... joined it up last night:

IMG_2940.thumb.JPG.1a6d682ef2196da2e3654e626ce425e0.JPG

extra points for capturing belly + shoes in the shot!!

side note: tablesaw - such a nice tablesaw but the fence is crap.  I adjusted the tension for locking it down... but it only locks on the one side... other side has a wheel that just rides along... and with enough pressure the fence moves in micro amounts.  for this reason... I couldn't get a joint out of it that I was happy with.  Tried several times to cut a very small amount and keep even pressure throughout the cut... but no luck.  my only reference point is industrial delta saws - but I can tell you they were effortless by compare.  As expensive as this thing was - and as many nice features as it has - not impressed SAWSTOP.  u suck.  sent an email to their support and got crickets.  

Ended up using my router to make two long straight edges and utilizing the "cut both sides at once" trick.  that resulted in an invisible join.  The setup time was brutal.  Long story long... need to buy a decent aftermarket fence for this tablesaw.  I've been using it a lot tho - wondering how I ever got along w/o it!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I'd be tempted to go with black hardware with the turquoise. Black binding would look cool to.

SR

funny, originally he wanted black hardware... but the only black tele bridge we could find was wilkinson... perhaps maybe I should buy black for my prototype but then he'll likely want to steal it from me at the end!!

44 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Gotoh doesn't make a black one?

SR

well, they do it's just the 'modern'.  afa I could find they don't make a traditional tele bridge in black.  his initial request was that it be a very 'twangy' guitar... and with that in mind - you gotta have the brass barrel saddles!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mistermikev said:

well, they do it's just the 'modern'.  afa I could find they don't make a traditional tele bridge in black.  his initial request was that it be a very 'twangy' guitar... and with that in mind - you gotta have the brass barrel saddles!

You could always get a black one and fit brass saddles?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mistermikev said:

the only black tele bridge we could find was wilkinson...

Ummm... what's wrong with Wilkinson? It can't be worse than this no-name: https://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-Style-bridge-3-Brass-Saddles-Black--Fits-Telereg_p_849.html

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

You could always get a black one and fit brass saddles?

well, again the only black one gotoh makes is a modern version... (with no side walls) and I'm not sure that would look great.  I have found a wilkinson version in black... but we've already purchased a gold gotoh one so... and gold sd510 tuners.  Perhaps I'll do black for my prototype... just to be a jackwagon.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Ummm... what's wrong with Wilkinson? It can't be worse than this no-name: https://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-Style-bridge-3-Brass-Saddles-Black--Fits-Telereg_p_849.html

nothing wrong with wilkinson.  They are just the korea/china faction of gotoh (if I'm not mistaken).  The gotoh compensated saddles are better and gotoh in general is a hair nicer quality.  Also, perhaps it's just me, but when slapping together $1000+ in parts/materials for a guitar... putting wilkinson on it kind of seems a bit... well... out of place?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistermikev said:

Also, perhaps it's just me, but when slapping together $1000+ in parts/materials for a guitar... putting wilkinson on it kind of seems a bit... well... out of place?

Yeah, I've always felt that way, too. When you've gone out of the way to make the components and materials high end, to go with the high end skills and craftsmanship being employed in the build, it makes little sense to cheap out on one part. Unless that one inexpensive part is exactly what you want and need. Then it's just a bargain.

SR

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Yeah, I've always felt that way, too. When you've gone out of the way to make the components and materials high end, to go with the high end skills and craftsmanship being employed in the build, it makes little sense to cheap out on one part. Unless that one inexpensive part is exactly what you want and need. Then it's just a bargain.

SR

right on.  I might be able to give myself a pass on using the black wilkinson on my prototype... but then chrome looks really nice with turquoise too!  could go right back to gotoh!

Whoa! Turquoise with a royal blue burst? That looks classy!

Re a black Tele bridge, I saw something I guess is boutique made. It said "chrome" but compared to other chrome hardware shown on the site it looked much darker and less shiny. Not painted, though. It didn't say "black chrome" either.

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Whoa! Turquoise with a royal blue burst? That looks classy!

Re a black Tele bridge, I saw something I guess is boutique made. It said "chrome" but compared to other chrome hardware shown on the site it looked much darker and less shiny. Not painted, though. It didn't say "black chrome" either.

well, if I'm being honest... I kind of liked the plain turquoise better... so this was all part of my diabolical plan to ween kevin off of the idea so that I wouldn't have to build two that were too similar!!  thank you - he liked it a lot too and was all over it.

afa black - one of the reasons I had reservations about black on the wilkinson stuff is their coatings are notorious for being bad.  flaking off, uneven... and such.  black chrome would be epic!! 

6 hours ago, Gogzs said:

Those color combos are starting to come together really nice. That burst elevates it to another level. Awesome!

ok, so that's two votes for burst... funny, it didn't do much for me until you guys started liking it!    thank you for the reply and kind words.

41 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I'd go with the burst and finish the headstock cap the same way.

SR

you and my friend kev think a lot alike!!  he suggested that too, and I would do that if it's what he wants... but I said the turquoise is going to get lost with a matching headstock.  Maybe I should do a mockup of that... with the gold rim on the outside of the turquoise it might not be so bad.  thanks for 2nd'ing him!!

The 12th bar ribbon looks nice! But is there really space for the text? It looks busy even on the headstock.

What's the difference between #2 and #4 other than that the headstock burst seems to be narrower on the latter?

The TWANG MASTER text looks a bit cheap compared to the rest. How about giving it a Fendery twist like below?

kuva.png.e291b7ffab9a58fcac230039a0aba9b0.png

3 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

The 12th bar ribbon looks nice! But is there really space for the text? It looks busy even on the headstock.

What's the difference between #2 and #4 other than that the headstock burst seems to be narrower on the latter?

The TWANG MASTER text looks a bit cheap compared to the rest. How about giving it a Fendery twist like below?

kuva.png.e291b7ffab9a58fcac230039a0aba9b0.png

thanks biz i appreciate the reply. 

I def have to find a better font for sure.  I hear ya on the "busy".    Perhaps a better ribbon.

2/4 yes, just thought it might look better with a s maller burst so tried that. 

I'd really like to cut twang master out of the turquoise... but letters would be so small... can't imagine that would even be possible but at the least really hard to do... just spit balling for now.