Violin/Fiddle build (Woltz has too many projects on the go haha)

Woltz

Thought I'd share where I am up to with my Violin build.

I'm using a Stradivari Messiah plan.  Here are the templates before I cleaned up the edges.

5oG9fUh.jpg

Douglas Fir Top

Southern Silky Oak Back and Sides

Rock Maple Neck

Ebony Fingerboard

Pp7hjGm.jpg

I was going to use the piece of queen ebony in this photo but it was too small so I ordered a ebony fingerboard as it was cheaper than ordering an ebony blank.

Here was the reclaimed Douglas Fir before I cleaned it up.

DymnsBm.jpg

Form marked out and then cut out.

74goZFL.jpg

niZXyWo.jpg

Doing a practice scroll out of pine to practice carving.

p0m461I.jpg

Corner and end blocks glued to form.

xf567DB.jpg

61LxkTX.jpg

And blocks shaped.

TrfhnGM.jpg

Edited by Woltz

Looks good, I do have one question though.

It appears that you are using pipe for the bender. I hope that is NOT GALVANIZED pipe? If it is please be aware that heating galvanized pipe can be very deadly. The fumes from the galvanization burning off is very poisonous and deadly.

MK

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MiKro said:

Looks good, I do have one question though.

It appears that you are using pipe for the bender. I hope that is NOT GALVANIZED pipe? If it is please be aware that heating galvanized pipe can be very deadly. The fumes from the galvanization burning off is very poisonous and deadly.

MK

It is galvanised pipe because it was the easiest to source where I am.  I'm aware of the issue with the fumes as I'm actually a Chemist.  Before using it the first time I cranked it up full heat to burn off as much of the galvanising as I could whilst wearing respiratory protection.

But very good point to raise just in case there are others that are not aware of the issue.

Edited by Woltz
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I've been a bit slow getting things done over the last few weeks but here is an update.

The mortices for the linings in the C bouts have been cut.

W3Pmrdc.jpg

The linings are almost ready to be glued in, they just need to be planed down to the correct thickness first.  I also reduced the Belly and Back down to the correct thickness and cut out the rough outline.  Next step is to file the edges down to my pencil line and then I can start on the carving. 

IKv0J9r.jpg

• Like 1

Off the form for the first time.  It will go back onto the form when I glue the back on when I'm ready but it's much easier and safer to break the blocks free from the form prior to having a nicely carved back plate attached.  After the pegs came off I trimmed the linings back and sanded the whole face flat.

nRXLGte.jpg?1

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Like all of my projects, time seems to disappear and I haven't done much.  But I have started carving the top.  I roughed out the platform around the edge where the purfling will go first and then I've started doing the rough carve.  I also cut the scroll out.

nSkJNmZ.jpg

q5NAygf.jpg

vqCX4nW.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...