swapping out toggle switch for push-button. Will it work?

levitator

The title basically says it all.  I have a Sterling JP150 and I LOVE it! The only problem is the toggle switch is RIGHT in the way.  I thought about moving it but I use the tone and volume knobs and I do have the capabilities to bore a new hole and move it to it's own spot but I don't really want to.

so I was jamming the other night and the volume pot has a push button boost and I thought "why don't i just make the pickup selector switch a push button too?"

I don't know much about electronics or wiring but it's just connecting two points in a circuit right? what's the difference if it's a switch or a button?  I never use the middle position so I was hoping It would just work like ON=Neck pup, OFF= Bridge pup. Or am I way off and toggle switches are more complicated than that?  

51IWtN9wHaL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

• Thanks 1

Even my limited knowledge tells that for just swapping between two options a push button should work. I also know that there's at least two types of push buttons, one that switches between two options and another that works for just the moment you push it. Of course the latter could be made to work as well but that would require some sort of magic.

The master electrickerians here can sure tell you more about the wiring and the type of button you'd need.

Yay! The guitar actually looks more stylish now!

Should you ever want to reinstall the original switch, plugging and redrilling the ½" hole should be doable and pretty much invisible especially if you add a washer. Seeing the location I understand why you kept hitting it.

• 2 years later...
On 1/13/2021 at 4:14 PM, levitator said:

So I went through with it. Had to bore out the hole from 1/2" to 3/4" which kinda sucks because I still had to drill into the guitar but hey, IT WORKS!! No more whacking my knuckles or accidentally switching pups!

138912621_707945153491725_5182187806260766445_n.jpg

138141373_230381635213858_1361632247721881221_n.jpg

I got the same problem love the guitar but the switch gets on my nerves!! Did that push button give you all the same positions?  Email me at donjosephjr1973@gmail.com. Let me know what you did exactly. Thanks bud!! 

On 1/10/2021 at 11:55 AM, levitator said:

The title basically says it all.  I have a Sterling JP150 and I LOVE it! The only problem is the toggle switch is RIGHT in the way.  I thought about moving it but I use the tone and volume knobs and I do have the capabilities to bore a new hole and move it to it's own spot but I don't really want to.

so I was jamming the other night and the volume pot has a push button boost and I thought "why don't i just make the pickup selector switch a push button too?"

I don't know much about electronics or wiring but it's just connecting two points in a circuit right? what's the difference if it's a switch or a button?  I never use the middle position so I was hoping It would just work like ON=Neck pup, OFF= Bridge pup. Or am I way off and toggle switches are more complicated than that?  

51IWtN9wHaL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Where did you buy this? Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes great idea . There is a rotary same size . I’m going to put in mine so I have all three. Then I’m going to put some mini toggle the the back for coil tapping or splitting not sure which I want on this one. Like you I love the guitar but hate snaking my knuckles on that dam toggle. 😆

As @levitator said he never uses the middle option a button works just fine. For using both pickups simultaneously a rotary is a good option. A blender pot would also work, one with a center notch might be the easiest to use.

Instead of a mini toggle you could also use a push-pull pot. The most convenient location for that might be the tone as you wouldn't accidentally hit it back down when it's up.

• 6 months later...

I just got my buttons in today. Spdt On-On. How did you ground everything though? My button is also LED option. So my terminals are NO, NC ,C, -, ÷ (- and + are for LED option)..... I have 2 Seymour Duncan humbuckers (4 wire). I figured I would wire it like a 3 way toggle (1 Humbucker NO the other NC and the C going to volume pot with both Humbucker grounded to volume pot.) Now a 3 way toggle has a pole by itself to be grounded to the Volume pot. What would be the equivalent on the spdt button for grounding? Does it need to be ground to the Volume pot