TOP 12 GUITAR PLAYERS

KILOWAT®

who is the most liked player in the room  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really didn't give cobain much of a look until i saw nirvana do unplugged. if you ever get a chance to see the performance of "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" near the end of unplugged, do. it wasn't spectacular musicianship, but there was a feeling to that song that surprised me. it was hard to see past all the pop-kiddies yelling, "nirvana is the best," without totally writing him/them off.

another guitarist that i miss on the poll is eric clapton. that guy has been around forever, and has made some rad music. i dig the cream and yardbird days, but i just like the way the guy plays.

Kurt's guitar work was very simplistic when compared to other names mentioned in this poll, but heck, he got his point across i think. While I respect him for for what he did (not the heroin and head injury), i still don't think he earns a place in 'Top 10 guitar players'

<My $0.02>

....just listen to radio friendly unit shifter

Dude, that song frickin rocks!

thumbs up to anyone whom lays their hands on the stringed instrument and makes it sing

I respect anyone who plays guitar better than i do and lets face there are plenty of 'em :D

Edit: I voted null cos i dont know enough to compare those 12 guys against eachother!

He was also a heroin addict, so it's unfair to judge his talent by his live performances - after all, I've seen Joe Perry, Jimmy Page and Stevie Ray all perform while severely impaired, but I doubt that anyone here would deny their talent based on those performances.

Yep I agree with you 100% here. However if you listen Cobain's CD's there is no single song a kid which has been playing for 1-2 years could not play. He was a good song writer and singer. It's the emotion in his songs and the compostitions he should get credit for, but his guitar playing was on a beginner's level, that cannot be argued.

He was also a heroin addict, so it's unfair to judge his talent by his live performances - after all, I've seen Joe Perry, Jimmy Page and Stevie Ray all perform while severely impaired, but I doubt that anyone here would deny their talent based on those performances.

Yep I agree with you 100% here. However if you listen Cobain's CD's there is no single song a kid which has been playing for 1-2 years could not play. He was a good song writer and singer. It's the emotion in his songs and the compostitions he should get credit for, but his guitar playing was on a beginner's level, that cannot be argued.

but he went to show that its not actually that important how well you play, if you do it with feeling and play crappy, surely thats better than damn fast with no emotion...to me it is anyway

I gotta weigh in on this one. I give Cobain credit ofr additude alone. Thats all heh ad going for him IMHO. As far as the guy jating on Zakk, I'm ont surprised at all. I think Zakk is a guy you love or hate. Very different kind of player for sure, so hay nothing but love. And last, I gotta say I was VERY GLAD not to see clapton on that list. I am soooooo sick of the Clapton is God stuff. I always felt like he was the most overrated guitarist evr (with a quick nod to Keith Richards as well). But that is the beauty of this thread. It just goes to show that all of their music, regardelss of one individual opinion of them (even those godawful whitestripes) has a place in the music universe. O and Kudos to the guy who mentioned Cobain and Randy Rhoads in the same sentence. You are FAR MORE broad minded than I! :D

OOO and I almost forgot, Killowat who is this Carl Verheyen guy? I'd like to hear about him and his style!

It's the emotion in his songs and the compostitions he should get credit for, but his guitar playing was on a beginner's level, that cannot be argued.

but he went to show that its not actually that important how well you play, if you do it with feeling and play crappy, surely thats better than damn fast with no emotion...to me it is anyway

I agree with all the above, but while there was plenty of emotion in Cobain's songs, composition's and voice, his guitar playing sounded totally flat to me.

Carl Verheyen is a studio guitarist of the league of Michael Landau or Steve Lukather. He currently plays for Supertramp and also has his own blues rock band. They came to a place near me where you can pack in about 50 ppl and that's it...AND I MISSED IT! bullsbollocks...To me, this whole "best guitarist" horse has been flogged to death so many times, it's not even annoying me anymore. It's all personal preference, or a more precise question. Best technical player as in "plays the most notes per second" would be quite easy, most likely a tie between Michael Angelo Batio and Rusty Cooley. Best technical player with emotion...already unanswerable. I know I'm probably gonna get beaten up for this, but I simply don't like Joe Satriani. His songs, playing and sound do nothing for me. I like "always" because it's a fun one to play, but I've owned his "flying in a blue dream" and heard a couple tunes from other albums, and he just doesn't ge to me. All personal preference and it's good that way.

Speaking of which, where in the name of satan is Paul Gilbert on this list? Frank Gambale? Leo Kottke, Preston Reed, Laurence Juber and Paco de Lucia? See? I could go on for hours but I chose not to. On the other hand, in threads like this you always find an interesting new name or two...

I voted null, of course

so long

ace

To me, this whole "best guitarist" horse has been flogged to death so many times, it's not even annoying me anymore.

Well, the original question wasn't "Who do you think is the best guitarist?" but rather "Who is the most liked in the forum?". In other words, who's your favorite?

Well, the original question wasn't "Who do you think is the best guitarist?" but rather "Who is the most liked in the forum?". In other words, who's your favorite?

good eye. so does this mean that all the null voters are slackers for not reading the topic line? ill let you decide :D

actually, i didnt notice myself. i just voted from the options given to me heh.

Eric Johnson, because when his name is mentioned, I immediately think of "cliffs of dover"

But When I hear Vai's name, I think about that whitesnake crap he did. He should have stayed with using an old Carvin head and the exact tone he had on the 'flexible' records. THAT was his tone. He shouldn't have "metalized" it so much.

He's an unreal player, but I don't think his ear for tone matches his technical abilities.

And when I think of Satch, I think of his singing, which his great guitar playing just can't drown out enough in my mind.

I think a whole band that makes a good song, is so much better than the shredder God with the simple power chord garbage playing behind his soloing ego explosion.

• 2 weeks later...