KEA/ LEF 2021 build thread

59 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

That's unbelievable! You aren't even hitting the string, just releasing it! I had to test that with some of my guitars just to check how much the string moves and can I make it buzz.

Well, the low E seems to buzz more or less on most of my guitars (both self and factory built), not from the very start but for a little while after a second or three, cleaning again. The one with the lowest action buzzes a bit up to the fourth fret or so. That one also has the most flexible neck of the six. 

Yeah man, when i saw in in that slow motion vid i couldnt believe it. how is that even happening?

55 minutes ago, Drak said:

You've completely exhausted the physical possibilities, time to go metaphysical.

Look for an energy healer in your area, you've got some sort of energetic disturbance going on.

In the part of the country where you live, the place is crawling with them.

You could probably throw a rock from where you stand and hit one in the head.

Although that would not be a very kind thing to do...😇

Haha, time for some crystals?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, killemall8 said:

Haha whats interesting is that Is a 54 

jeebus, would not have guessed that.  have to wonder what any other guitar looks like comparatively.  that one - just looks like an awful lot of movement.  My guess is that neck must be ridgid as all f and the vibration has no where to go but the string?

2 hours ago, mistermikev said:

jeebus, would not have guessed that.  have to wonder what any other guitar looks like comparatively.  that one - just looks like an awful lot of movement.  My guess is that neck must be ridgid as all f and the vibration has no where to go but the string?

Maybe? This one isnt a multi piece neck, just maple with an ebony fretboard.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 9:30 PM, killemall8 said:

Maybe? This one isnt a multi piece neck, just maple with an ebony fretboard.

jeez, wrong at every turn here.  It would seem that more vibration = better... but if it's rattling that much... how does that even happen?  Do you use dual action truss?  Is your neck carve super thin/thick?  is your nut cut with a sharp angle?  I'll quit poking but just dumbfounded.

4 hours ago, mistermikev said:

jeez, wrong at every turn here.  It would seem that more vibration = better... but if it's rattling that much... how does that even happen?  Do you use dual action truss?  Is your neck carve super thin/thick?  is your nut cut with a sharp angle?  I'll quit poking but just dumbfounded.

This one is thicker than my standard. .82 at the first fret, .89 at the 12th.
Dual action rod.

13* headstock angle, graphtech nut

9 hours ago, killemall8 said:

This one is thicker than my standard. .82 at the first fret, .89 at the 12th.
Dual action rod.

13* headstock angle, graphtech nut

nothing really out of the ordinary anywhere... out of ideas.  on the bright side... it would seem this indicates your neck building is perhaps better, not worse!

• Like 1

Anyone with a fat wallet can buy all those fancy figured woods and cut the outlines to look like a guitar. But it takes a true craftsman to glue and carve a multi laminate neck with a strip in the scarf joint! Your necks are pure art, a pleasure for the eyes. They please at first glance, and when taking a closer look one can see the harmony in the proportions of the strips. And the scarf joints! There's no continuity issues whatsoever, it looks like you've just magically inlaid the extension piece! Even the X figure is perfectly symmetric to the smallest detail where the centre strip peeks through. I'm in awe!

11 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Anyone with a fat wallet can buy all those fancy figured woods and cut the outlines to look like a guitar. But it takes a true craftsman to glue and carve a multi laminate neck with a strip in the scarf joint! Your necks are pure art, a pleasure for the eyes. They please at first glance, and when taking a closer look one can see the harmony in the proportions of the strips. And the scarf joints! There's no continuity issues whatsoever, it looks like you've just magically inlaid the extension piece! Even the X figure is perfectly symmetric to the smallest detail where the centre strip peeks through. I'm in awe!

Thanks man! Ive gotten to the point where thats how i want my builds to be. Where they look great at a glance, but the longer you look, the more detail you see.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah,

Just when I think your work couldn't possibly get any better, you post some progress pics the prove me wrong....and I think okay now it couldn't possibly get any better........

...... and then you post some progress pics that prove me wrong.... and I think okay now it couldn't possibly get any better .....

:)

SR

12 hours ago, ScottR said:

Yeah,

Just when I think your work couldn't possibly get any better, you post some progress pics the prove me wrong....and I think okay now it couldn't possibly get any better........

...... and then you post some progress pics that prove me wrong.... and I think okay now it couldn't possibly get any better .....

:)

SR

I always appreciate your encouragement scottie! Especially with you being a master builder yourself.

• Like 1

Oh the Explorer! It's the same one that was shown as natural, then with a sanded back pinkish grey hue, isn't it? And now it looks like a scuba diver's wet dream! You should add a faded red element like a knob to represent the infamous beanie of Jacques Cousteau...

• 2 weeks later...