KEA/ LEF 2021 build thread

Very nice as always :thumb:

The blue masking tape on the necks fooled me for a while to think you went from blue to red, having sanded most of the blue away to leave just a burst! That made me compare the grain figurations until I understood they're two different guitars... :facepalm:

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, asgeirogm said:

That really sucks man. Did you try taking one the problem guitars to another experienced luthier to get a second opinion from somebody able to physically inspect and handle it?

Yes, i have a guy here who used to work for the jackson custom shop (he actually invented the warrior shape)
Have had him doing the fretwork for me on all of these, and they still all have the same result.

Good lord man! Now I know why I can't find any high end figured wood, you bought it all.

And you made crazy insanely good looking guitars out of it.

You really ought to try magnetic cavity covers. I'll never go back to screws, and screwless covers will go perfectly with your style.

SR

On 10/31/2021 at 7:14 PM, ScottR said:

Good lord man! Now I know why I can't find any high end figured wood, you bought it all.

And you made crazy insanely good looking guitars out of it.

You really ought to try magnetic cavity covers. I'll never go back to screws, and screwless covers will go perfectly with your style.

SR

Thanks scotty! I have a really good quilt/ flame supplier if you want his info.
Interesting you mention the magnets, i had planned on doing that for a wh ile

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, killemall8 said:

Thanks scotty! I have a really good quilt/ flame supplier if you want his info.
Interesting you mention the magnets, i had planned on doing that for a wh ile

I may hit you up for that info, next time I need to get more.

I think you'll like the magnets.

SR

Amazing batch again, but the buzz issue still bugs me like crazy. 

I know you set up your guitars in a way that the strings are as low as is can possibly be. Maybe at the level, math simply isn't adding up anymore when it comes to the fretboard radius. Have you ever looked into doing a compound radius? Long shot again, just thinking out loud.

Keep up the good work tho, love it when you dump pictures into this thread :D

7 hours ago, Gogzs said:

Amazing batch again, but the buzz issue still bugs me like crazy. 

I know you set up your guitars in a way that the strings are as low as is can possibly be. Maybe at the level, math simply isn't adding up anymore when it comes to the fretboard radius. Have you ever looked into doing a compound radius? Long shot again, just thinking out loud.

Keep up the good work tho, love it when you dump pictures into this thread :D

Compound is the last thing on the list. I havent tried it yet. I only use 2 radii currently, either 12 or 16. Both have shown the exact same outcome so far. Compound is on the list.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 5:26 AM, killemall8 said:

20211102_110401.jpg

Wenge is central, then goes purpleheart then goes what? Looks absolutely amazing, one of those necks where you feel sorry that the fretboard isn't translucent so this beauty can be seen from the front as well. 

5 hours ago, Gogzs said:

Wenge is central, then goes purpleheart then goes what? Looks absolutely amazing, one of those necks where you feel sorry that the fretboard isn't translucent so this beauty can be seen from the front as well. 

Paduak after that, then flame maple on the outside. Thanks, i loved the way this neck looks. I want to do more combos like this.

• Like 1