First carved top Les Paul build

noice.  is that a poplar body?  shinto - I like my shinto... but I feel like it's kind of hard to control.  for removing a lot of material fast it's hard to beat but the dragon tail is my go to... you can get precise at the tip... and you can still remove wood pretty quick at the base.  then I also like my (gulp) orange harbor freight rough rasp.  makes for some ugly surface but man it removes wood fast!! 

anywho, looking good.

omg you ARE really going there... I like the cut of your jib and will follow.  I've always wanted a tamo ash guitar at some point... and the blessed stuff is so expensive (real tamo ash)... on my someday list.  hope you share pics of the process.

5 minutes ago, David Ivy said:

@mistermikev I most certainly will share pictures as I get jobs done.

Because I have a 9 to 5 job guitar building at this point is a hobby but really wanting to get good enough to sell boutique guitar builds someday. Maybe even come up with my own guitar design.

I think if we are all honest with ourselves... we all want to be the next leo on some level or another.  I totally want to build guitars all day... but all the crap that comes along with marketing/selling/meeting deadlines... sounds a lot like work!!

17 minutes ago, David Ivy said:

@mistermikev yes it does sound like a lot of work but I am more so wanting to build one guitar at a time for the person who wants a hand crafted instrument and not an assembly line guitar. I in no way want to try to compete with the big manufacturing brands. Just one here and one There with my name on it.

sorry, wasn't trying to discourage at all... those are just the thoughts I have in MY head on the matter (probably would have been best left in my head!!).  I wish you nothing but your absolute dream fulfilled!!  

I fine sanded the neck today.

I also wanted to mention this time I routed the truss rod channel with a jig I made. I got the idea for the jig from a YuoTube video that I watched.  My last build I had to fill the channel back in and reroute it. This time it was one and done.

0116212317.jpg

0116212318.jpg

0116212319.jpg

Edited by David Ivy
Misspelled words.
  • Like 2

Got the LP body sanded, and ready to route wiring cavities. Had a problem with my plunge router not staying locked in place and messed up a body blank and master template trying to route the edges.

So I cut another body blank as close to the outline as I could and just belt sanded it.

0117211325-1.jpg

0117211325a-1.jpg

• Like 1