Finally Started Building

It is very hard to play a fretless. My teacher has both a Godin Glissentar fretless 10-String and a Tele with a neck that has the first five frets only. We refer to it as the "rhythm" guitar...no playing beyond the fifth fret. :D

It's hard to intonate correctly and to press hard and "defined" enough with your fingers to get decent sound. Forget playing chords on the fretless. It is however interesting that you can use it to vary intonation slightly depending on your style, like intonate the b3 a little higher in the blues scale, stuff like that. Still, I don't feel inclined to play one for real. Different thing on bass for sure because you don't have to play chords that much...

so long

ace

It's hard to intonate correctly and to press hard and "defined" enough with your fingers to get decent sound...

...Different thing on bass for sure because you don't have to play chords that much..

i guess it depends on the bass player...i play chords all the time B)

As far as pressing goes, well, i think you guitar players just need to toughen up a bit :D

It's hard to intonate correctly and to press hard and "defined" enough with your fingers to get decent sound...

...Different thing on bass for sure because you don't have to play chords that much..

i guess it depends on the bass player...i play chords all the time :D

As far as pressing goes, well, i think you guitar players just need to toughen up a bit B)

You play chords on the fretless bass? My respect...I hope your bandmates like it, too :D

No really, with thin strings I find it harder to get a defined sound because you have more finger flesh dampening the string in relation to its thickness...if that's halfway understandable. No offense intended, but there IS a reason that you see way mor frettless basses than guitars

so long

ace

I read that when playing fretless bass its really easy to hit any note slightly flat or sharp. To remedy this, you add vibrato to almost every note to even it out. I guess that would go the same for guitar as well. Adding virbrato to chords is kinda difficult methinks. Unless of course you are THE DADDY and hit every note/chord spot on!

Use a heat gun, it takes it right off.

Ace, I understand what you mean. No offense taken.

You don't HAVE to put vibrato on anything. The main reason that vibrato is consistant of every note is because that is the way it is done on classical instruments (all fretless). You just have to play it enough to know where you want to land your notes. Sometimes its nice to intentioally pull something sharp or flat.

And vibrato i can really only see as being really difficult on a few chords (any involving all 4 fingers)