Build Lynch burnt tiger guitar

marc

hi guys i am a newbie. I am looking to buy a cheap guitar like an ibanez gio and modify it took look like  george lynch burnt tiger guitar

i think i need a router and some bits but not sure which ones to buy. I am looking for something cheap

I think this router would work but i am not sure

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D5B785P/?coliid=I1ETL2LGZW3757&colid=22TF5GPXU7LVT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

here is a link to what I want the guitar to look like

https://reverb.com/item/38177684-esp-ltd-george-lynch-burnt-tiger-signature-limited-edition-2016?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=6481185772&utm_content=campaignid=6481185772_adgroupid=80652879027_productpartitionid=341676049881=merchantid=312367864_productid=38177684_keyword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=391635704398&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyJOBBhDCARIsAJG2h5fYA-AyhASB6FlUeSvtjTnCk6qEGqmfCDQg5WX_mRbuLFTQSjaQoecaArBgEALw_wcB

i already did guitar with the paint stripes but now I want one similar to george lynch burnt gutiar

any feed back would be helpful

I guess for a one time job that router would be just fine.

You can do the stripes either free hand or make a template. That choice will then tell the choice of the router bit.

Notice that when you're routing on the edge there's a big risk of tilting the router and cutting the sides as well. That risk can be reduced in several ways. For freehand routing you can make a fence or box around the guitar so that you'll always have a solid base for the router. If you make a template - which I'd recommend - make it some 2"/5 cm wider than the guitar for the same reason.

As I said, that one looks like one. I've got a €50 router which is sold under various names depending on the shop and even though I lent it to a to-be trained luthier for a couple of builds it still seems to work nicely. Routing guitar bodies isn't too tough of a task if you use the router right i.e. predrill cavities and take light passes instead of sticking the bit an inch deep into rock maple and start cutting. No router or router bit likes that type of abuse.

A trim router like that can be nice, but I'd rather take a two hand operated one for universal use as it can be both easier to guide and safer as you won't let go off the handles while the bit is running.

just 2 cents on a router... those palm routers IME are more dangerous that full sized routers especially if you choke them.  Since there are no handles... it is very easy to loose control of them, and since they are so small it is easy for the bat to end up eating your hand.  They are not nearly as powerful and as such - choking it by taking too big of a bite of wood is very easy.  i have one and use it for binding channels and that is honestly as far as I would push one of those.  

I would say find a full sized router.  I've bought several on craigslist ranging from $25-100.  there are also some cheap routers out there that you can get for around the sm money.  

don't mean to rain on your parade... just would hate to see anyone get hurt.  

all that said - I don't really know what you need a router for... as the gearge lynch is just a paint job.  if you can find a guitar similar to that shape... pretty easy to redo the paint.  if you want to get into modifying guitars tho... router is a good tool to learn how to use.

2 hours ago, mistermikev said:

just 2 cents on a router... those palm routers IME are more dangerous that full sized routers especially if you choke them.  Since there are no handles... it is very easy to loose control of them, and since they are so small it is easy for the bat to end up eating your hand.  They are not nearly as powerful and as such - choking it by taking too big of a bite of wood is very easy.  i have one and use it for binding channels and that is honestly as far as I would push one of those.  

I would say find a full sized router.  I've bought several on craigslist ranging from $25-100.  there are also some cheap routers out there that you can get for around the sm money.  

don't mean to rain on your parade... just would hate to see anyone get hurt.  

all that said - I don't really know what you need a router for... as the gearge lynch is just a paint job.  if you can find a guitar similar to that shape... pretty easy to redo the paint.  if you want to get into modifying guitars tho... router is a good tool to learn how to use.

MMV, click on his link, it does indeed show a routed body. With no tigerstripe colors, its all one color.

They just took the stripes usually painted on and turned that pattern into a recessed deal.

Interesting about the trim router...I always thought I needed one but never bought one, I'll avoid the urge to buy one now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Drak said:

MMV, click on his link, it does indeed show a routed body. With no tigerstripe colors, its all one color.

They just took the stripes usually painted on and turned that pattern into a recessed deal.

Interesting about the trim router...I always thought I needed one but never bought one, I'll avoid the urge to buy one now.

hehe, I did click on it... but didn't realize it wasn't just paint/graphic.   looked again - I have seen that before just didn't register.  there's a spider web one that similar. 

on that note.... could probably do that with vinyl but yeah... router.  palm routers certainly have their uses and can be used safely... like any tool... just see a lot of folks buying them with intent to do full router work and wanted to mention.  admittedly - I'm a bit of a worry wart when it comes to safety.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

I'm a bit of a worry wart when it comes to safety.

That was hilarious. At 1:45, he says "I get at the end of something, then look back and say how did I get here, then I see these series of bad choices and bad steps'.

That is exactly how a geopolitics professor I follow describes the series of events that lead to war.

That war is Never a mistake, it is always a series of bad choices and bad steps.

That guy would find it quite humorous to hear a tenured geopolitics professor say exactly the same words he said there about how all wars start.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Drak said:

That was hilarious. At 1:45, he says "I get at the end of something, then look back and say how did I get here, then I see these series of bad choices and bad steps'.

That is exactly how a geopolitics professor I follow describes the series of events that lead to war.

That war is Never a mistake, it is always a series of bad choices and bad steps.

That guy would find it quite humorous to hear a tenured geopolitics professor say exactly the same words he said there about how all wars start.

well... can't say I haven't thought the same about mistakes I've made... always a series of bad choices.  that said... there seems to be one bad choice that leads to the reflection and in this case I think it's trying to take off 1/4" x 3/4" in one pass... and with a tiny little baseplate.