Want to change Set Neck Plan to Bolt On. Potential problems with that??

KeysNGuitar

Hello All,

Another newbie question for you.  I am starting my first build.  I have drawings for a PRS  Custom 22.  Since this is my very first go at this, I am concerned about going with the set neck since it seems that would be a "get it right the first time" kind of deal.  The neck pocket doesn't seem that large and the neck goes under the neck pickup.  I was thinking about slightly changing the design so that the top cutaway is extended just a little bit and then curve up to the pocket and making the neck pocket extend out a little so that I can bolt the neck onto the body with 4 bolts.   Does that make sense?  Anyone see an issue with extending the neck pocket so that more of the neck sits in the pocket?   I am assuming that if I keep the neck the same length, then I shouldn't be changing the scale length at all.  Or do you believe that the current neck pocket is sufficient to bolt?  It doesn't look like it since the pickup is in the same spot.

image.png.84fe4af6a2ffa101e13c95031bf838c0.png

Thank you all for your advice.

pretty sure I've actually seen someone do a bolt-on on this type of prs where they had the neck extend under the pickup, but had bolts going into it on the back side.  you could extend the pocket... and if you sculpted it right you could likely even get it to be as comfy.  ie using ferrules and screws as opposed to a neck plate.  there's not really a lot of wood there to begin with so i would think you'd need to go out approx 1.25-1.5 inches but sure... why not.  

I think you COULD use the current neck pocket... but I wouldn't.  It would likely hold as long is it didn't get dropped but if it got dropped it'd be all over.  scale length... if you are mounting some neck you bought on this... I'd think real hard about that.  prs should be with a 25" scale not 25.5 so... bridge position is going to shift if you try to put the wrong one on and even with the right neck scale... it has to be positioned to give you the full scale in the place you want it.  if no bridge is present... you could get away with a lot but note that the curves are designed to sit on your leg while you play and too much adjustment could compromise the ergonomics.

• Like 1

I'd say you could change it to a bolt on even without changing the body. There's a long stretch inside the cavity. If I chose that route I'd use machine bolts and threaded inserts especially under the pickup.

On a Strat the neck cavity bottom is about 3" (76mm) long. On the upper side the bottom is ½" (13mm) longer than the body, on the lower side there's only about ½" support on the side. On some models the bottom "lip" is curved to even less. Below is a sketch for a Fender type neck pocket extension, both rectangular and curved. Judging by the pickup cavity I'd say a ½" extension would stretch the bottom of the cavity at least as long as on Fenders with more side support on the lower side.

kuva.png.ac01640529d02c619c6832e31e6974e6.png

• Like 1