Humbucker - Single - Single Image for Template

KeysNGuitar

Hello Friends,

Would anyone have a good drawing (.ai, .png, .jpg) that I could get from you to make a routing template for H-S-S configuration?  My scale length is 25".  My original plan is set for H-H but I like the H-S-S configuration.  I looked at a few sites but wasn't finding what I was looking for.  Stewmac's templates are expensive.   

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 1:15 PM, mistermikev said:

this is something you'll run into a lot building guitars... so my suggestion is to start with a strat template and simply open it in paint or other graphical editor... and add a humbucker on top of the bridge pickup.  

So I sort of took your advice but went a step further.  I took the .AI of the PRS that I have and I copied on top of it a Strat .pdf that was 1;1 scale and kept the middle and neck pickups, removing the PRS neck pickup.  I know you can't really be certain by a picture but does this image look feasible to you?  I lined up the front edge (closest to the fretboard) of the neck single coil with the front edge of the neck humbucker and kept the middle in the same spacing as it would be on the Strat.  Make sense?  Look like it would work?

Thanks!

Body Front With H-S-S Pickup Layout.pdf

• Like 1

Any reason why you can't just make up one humbucker routing template, one single coil routing template and move them as and where you need them on the face of your guitar? Locking yourself in to a rigid pickup configuration means it will only work on one type of instrument, and if you need to change it you'll have to design and make a whole new template.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KeysNGuitar said:

So I sort of took your advice but went a step further.  I took the .AI of the PRS that I have and I copied on top of it a Strat .pdf that was 1;1 scale and kept the middle and neck pickups, removing the PRS neck pickup.  I know you can't really be certain by a picture but does this image look feasible to you?  I lined up the front edge (closest to the fretboard) of the neck single coil with the front edge of the neck humbucker and kept the middle in the same spacing as it would be on the Strat.  Make sense?  Look like it would work?

Thanks!

Body Front With H-S-S Pickup Layout.pdf 235.86 kB · 1 download

looks pretty solid to me... but one concern I would have is where the prs fretboard ends... you need to ensure it ends b4 the neck pickup starts.  other than that... looks like a winner.

Just now, curtisa said:

Any reason why you can't just make up one humbucker routing template, one single coil routing template and move them as and where you need them on the face of your guitar? Locking yourself in to a rigid pickup configuration means it will only work on one type of instrument, and if you need to change it you'll have to design and make a whole new template.

I don't know that he's not doing just that... I assumed he would.  I usually do my pickup templates individually then trasfter them to a full teplate.  probably don't need a full template at all... but IMO it's best to get the alignment perfect on mdf and make the entire transfer a no brainer. 

long story long... yeah - if I were you I'd make individual templates that will transfer to the body template.

1 minute ago, mistermikev said:

looks pretty solid to me... but one concern I would have is where the prs fretboard ends... you need to ensure it ends b4 the neck pickup starts.  other than that... looks like a winner.

Yeah, like I said before, I lined up the fretboard side of both neck pickups before hiding the PRS pickup.  I use Adobe Illustrator.  I figured this way, the Single Coil pickup would be in the same spot that the Humbucker would normally go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, curtisa said:

I suppose I could but this is my very first build so I would like everything to be in the right spot before attempting to rout.  Maybe someday I'll feel comfortable enough to do it the other way.  :)

• Like 1