ESP Eclipse style guitar with Khaler proyect Trem doubts!!!

Hi, I'm designing this guitar inspired in the ESP Eclipse. It is going to wear a Khaler stud mounted bridge 7 string, but never have dealed with this before! 

651500014_Foroprojectguitar.thumb.jpg.dcfa3e335d13eb05698595b453f870fd.jpg

- Does anyone know if the ESP Eclipse has a neck angle? I know it depends on the bridge but is an importand information in order to solve the body-neck joint. I point out that is a set through building, no long tenon in the style of Les Paul, cause I want to combine different types of woods in the heel zone. How would you solve the joint? neck angle, no angle, how many degrees?...

- On the other hand, do you think is necessary a locking nut or it would be posible to use a normal bone nut with the khaler? (The tuning machines will be Sperzel with lock system.

Thanks in advance!!! I'll describe the entire process of the building here in the forum.

Scorpionscar

18 minutes ago, killemall8 said:

Ones with tune o matic bridges do, ones with floyds and evertune dont.

Although even that's not strictly true either. The real question should be, 'does the guitar require neck angle given how I'm constructing it?' Adding neck angle solely due to the choice of bridge is secondary. It's entirely possible to make a guitar with no neck angle and a Tune-O-Matic bridge, just as much as making one using a Telecaster hardtail bridge that requires neck angle.

As @killemall8 mentions, you've answered your own question. It doesn't matter whether the original Eclipse has neck angle or if the Kahler tremolo is a certain height. You need to design your guitar around what you deem acceptable from a geometric and/or aesthetic point of view, and you should only be doing that once you know exactly how tall the Kahler is and how it can be fitted and adjusted. If the bridge is so high that it demands some construction method of lowering the strings to make it playable, you then need to decide how you want to manage it - recess the bridge into the body, raise the neck pocket, tilt the neck backwards, or even a combination of any three.

• Like 2

interesting build.  as mentioned... neck angle - sort of determined by the bridge... you COULD raise the neck out of the body... you COULD countersink the tremolo... you could do a combo of neck raise and neck angle.  I don't think there's really any way to answer this other than laying out your stuff to scale in a drawing of some sort.  

Looks like it's pretty hard to find spec drawing of saddle height for kahlers - but I know they have a pretty extreme amount of adjustment and they sit pretty low profile.  As such... I suspect you wouldn't necc need any neck angle at all. 

I literally just bought a kahler 7300 (have always wanted to try one!) and am happy to give you measurements if that will help... but I don't know if they'll match your model.  They should be the sm... but wouldn't bet your guitar on it!!

afa lock nut... you COULD do one without... but any dive bombing is going to take it out of tune.  Even with locking tuners my experience has been that a trem can stay in tuner for "sleepwalk" style tremolo use... but getting aggressive it's not going to stay in like a floyd unless it's locked.  I'd use a lock nut and not the kahler "behind-the-nut" type.  Was thinking I'll probably buy a floyd for mine... the kahler style is notorious for slippage.  

hope something was useful there.

• Like 1

All of you are right, I've solved the design with an angle, The anatomy of this style of guitar requiere it, and the khaler, although is not taller in excess, can be adjusted a lot, so I decided to angle the neck. As you say Prostheta, I have the option of recess the bridge, or raise the neck, this is one of the advantages of this type of construction (set neck). About the nut, not very clear what to do...

I`m going for a laminated neck for stability, with a double action truss rod. Do you think is necessary reinforcements of carbon fiber? What profile measuremts should I use in the first and 12th fret?

Scorpionscar

• Like 1

no need for carbon fiber unless you want to go for a very thin neck or heavy strings. Especially since you are laminating. Almost all guitars are built without carbon reinforcement. As far as profiles go-find a neck you like and use a contour gauge to copy it. 

just read that this is a seven string-so I’m not sure about carbon fiber-I’m not experienced with seven strings. Find out if the neck you plan to copy has carbon fiber. My guess is you are still good to go with just truss rod and lams. 

10 hours ago, scorpionscar said:

Do you think is necessary reinforcements of carbon fiber?

Again, that's a question that is more appropriate based on what you're making and how you're making it. Being a seven string neck doesn't automatically require you to install carbon fibre reinforcement. There are other factors that should drive that decision - what materials are you going to use in the neck? Are those materials prone to movement (seasonal or environmental)? How long is the neck? How thin will it be? What string gauges and tunings are you intending to use? Etc...

10 hours ago, scorpionscar said:

What profile measuremts should I use in the first and 12th fret?

If you're unsure of what size and shape to use, follow the lead of other manufacturers and have a look at their own seven string necks for ideas. Most companies will give the 1st and 12th fret thicknesses/widths for their models on their websites. If you have the option of trying some seven string guitars out, make a note of which ones feel good and take measurements where necessary.

On 3/13/2021 at 3:25 AM, scorpionscar said:

All of you are right, I've solved the design with an angle, The anatomy of this style of guitar requiere it, and the khaler, although is not taller in excess, can be adjusted a lot, so I decided to angle the neck. As you say Prostheta, I have the option of recess the bridge, or raise the neck, this is one of the advantages of this type of construction (set neck). About the nut, not very clear what to do...

I`m going for a laminated neck for stability, with a double action truss rod. Do you think is necessary reinforcements of carbon fiber? What profile measuremts should I use in the first and 12th fret?

Scorpionscar

not that you are asking for my input here... but I'd simply pick a profile that I liked and try to use that.  you can find all sorts of pictures of profiles from popular guitars on the web from the wizard II neck to the evh/wolfgang to vintage 'baseball bat'.  I know certain one's resonate with me so I tend to go that route. 

afa nut... if you DO go locking nut the width of said nut is going to pretty much be dictated by the hardware.  if not, then sky's the limit.  as curtisa wisely pointed out - use something you know and like or use something that is used on the guitar that is similar to the one you are making.