Double cut/even strat?

yojoebro69

I know all strats are double cut but they are all offset. I was thinking of building a sort of a fender style sg. I think sg bodys are weird and I like the double cut teles, but it would look better as a strat shape. I was just wondering if anyone has done this because I haven't seen anyone do it. 

If you're thinking about mirroring the lower horn, the result would look quite a lot like a double cut LesPaul, or a PRS of the same ilk. The Strat horns have more space for the fist, though, which will make the guitar a couple of inches wider at the tip of the horns. Shouldn't look too bad:

kuva.png.4a4c03de6fe5669d619368f3e433000d.png

17 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

If you're thinking about mirroring the lower horn, the result would look quite a lot like a double cut LesPaul, or a PRS of the same ilk. The Strat horns have more space for the fist, though, which will make the guitar a couple of inches wider at the tip of the horns. Shouldn't look too bad:

kuva.png.4a4c03de6fe5669d619368f3e433000d.png

my dude your a legend did not respect such an amazing reply, thank you for sharing your knowledge :)

7 hours ago, Gogzs said:

@MiKro I've seen this one pop up from time to time in various threads (I think the last time was when you were cleaning the shop) and I still can't believe you didn't finish it. Such a weird but pretty build.

Yep, I guess maybe I should up the priority on the to do list.  :)

mk

On 3/13/2021 at 8:57 AM, MiKro said:

Like This one?

mk

dc3a.jpg

i concur - lovely stuff.  that a gotm just waiting there.

should be noted that there is not a lot of real estate to hold that neck in... and it might not be obvious to onlookers that your neck extends through the neck pickup rout... which makes it a solid pocket... I'm not sure I'd trust this on a bolt on neck that ends right at the end of the neck.  perhaps I'm wrong, but it would seem that using screws... and nothing to secure it 'side to side' would be ripe for stability issues.  I'd at least use inserts/machine screws if I was going to do that - to try and get a tighter grip on that neck.  just one ahole's o

52 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

i concur - lovely stuff.  that a gotm just waiting there.

should be noted that there is not a lot of real estate to hold that neck in... and it might not be obvious to onlookers that your neck extends through the neck pickup rout... which makes it a solid pocket... I'm not sure I'd trust this on a bolt on neck that ends right at the end of the neck.  perhaps I'm wrong, but it would seem that using screws... and nothing to secure it 'side to side' would be ripe for stability issues.  I'd at least use inserts/machine screws if I was going to do that - to try and get a tighter grip on that neck.  just one ahole's o

@mistermikev

It is a set neck not bolt on. :)

MK

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

i know mikro... but the gentleman above - who started this thread... is interested in doing a symmetrical strat, and based on bizman's drawings... looks like he intended a bolt on.

I agree needs to extend the pocket out if using bolt on. Or use six screws like some basses now

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MiKro said:

I agree needs to extend the pocket out if using bolt on. Or use six screws like some basses now

right on - 6 screw is a good idea.  even just using four but extending the neck into the humbucker pocket would help a lot. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 6:17 PM, mistermikev said:

right on - 6 screw is a good idea.  even just using four but extending the neck into the humbucker pocket would help a lot. 

I was definitely thinking about extending the neck into the first pocket it seems pretty sketchy not to do that. I will also look into the 6 bolts. What do you use for the drawings? Ai? Thank you all for responding much appreciated :)

3 hours ago, yojoebro69 said:

What do you use for the drawings?

I tend to use Paint a lot. It's fast and simple so it's perfect for sketches to make a description more undestandable. The drawing in my previous post was made by simply copying the lower part of a drawing found in the Internet with the Windows Snipping Tool, then copied and flipped the copy to complement the image. And then I just wiped the excess controls off of the upper part.

For real designing and blueprints there's other tools much better than Paint for the purpose. Photoshop and the likes can also be used as proved in the video series whose link I once read somewhere on this forum: http://www.crenshawweb.com/guitar_design.html

6 hours ago, yojoebro69 said:

I was definitely thinking about extending the neck into the first pocket it seems pretty sketchy not to do that. I will also look into the 6 bolts. What do you use for the drawings? Ai? Thank you all for responding much appreciated :)

what I use for drawings is typically photoshop... but there is gimp (free) and any number of other tools that can do that.  AI - not sure what you mean... but I often feel my own intelligence is artificial!!  lol.

On 3/17/2021 at 3:25 AM, mistermikev said:

what I use for drawings is typically photoshop... but there is gimp (free) and any number of other tools that can do that.  AI - not sure what you mean... but I often feel my own intelligence is artificial!!  lol.

thanks for your output, i found this website photopea its like a bad photoshop but its free. Also AI stands for adobe illustrator ;)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, yojoebro69 said:

thanks for your output, i found this website photopea its like a bad photoshop but its free. Also AI stands for adobe illustrator ;)

hehe apparently everyone else figured out ai is adobe illustrator but me... proving again my comments that my intelligence is artificial!!