Best Locking Machine Heads

I recently used a pair of Fender Schaller style tuners, and they were very easy to install. Most tuners require you to do drill a hole and then insert a very tiny screw. I tend to drop/lose the screws and/or strip the screw heads. With the Fenders, you drill the holes and the tuners have little "vampire" teeth that you set in the holes. I found them much easier to instal, and they work just fine.

Guitar Ed

Advice worth what you paid for it. Nothing.

I am building a telecaster and wonder what people would recommend as the best locking tuners.

I hope you do a custom peghead shape....if not then every good loo[c]king tuning machine is a waste, as the the original tele peghead has the ugliest shape ever....:D

Seriously: I like the schaller tuning machines very much. There is a special edition with ebony knobs that look quite luxurious. Just look at the pictures on the Schaller homepage.

HTH,

MK!

I second the Schaller vote. I've used them twice on guitars I've built and they are great. The Planet waves seem OK, I don't like the plastic on them. I'm also not sure I want the string being cut by anyone but me...unstreched strings often need to go back in the locking tuner to avoid twisting the string around the peg.

Also, the schallers have different heights on the pegs eliminating the need for string trees to be screwed into your headstock - great idea!

Don't know much about the planet waves; I do like the mention that they do the cutting for you! One less tool to worry about. I have used the Schallers on three guitars, two I built from parts and one I did a replacement on. I swear by them. Too bad you're doing a Tele. Wilkinson, graphite and Schallers are as good as a Floyd!

The gotoh 18:1 locking tuners seem like a good deal ,and have been given good reviews by some. Haven't heard anyone complain about them yet. They lock automatically. no knob to tighten for locking. Also makes 'em lighter than other locking tuners.

Cheaper than Sperzels and planet waves.

I've seen a couple people write that their planet waves tuners were not quite working right.

I think they said it was cutting the high E string too soon, or something wasn't working right with the high E at the tuner. If you have a problem, make the company make it right. So, don't worry.

Oh hell, That's the one thing I have used it for. When setting up the neck to glue I had both the E's strung to check alignment and they cut perfectly.

Wow, strange that Sperzels have barely been mentioned so far.

I've used Schallers (3 on a side) and Sperzels.

I kinda prefer Sperzels, but it's a personal thing, I don't think there's much difference really, they all work OK.

Schallers have a fatter and smoother locking collar than the sperzels, but the sperzels are lighter.

My opinion only. :D

I haven't seen the exposed gear Sperzels yet, I'm so far behind the cutting edge curve! :D

Y'know, that satin finish used to bother the hell out of me, I really disliked it, but after using a few sets, that finish has really grown on me so much that I now actually prefer it...go figure...don't know about satin chrome, I'm a 100% gold hardware guy, and I really dig the satin gold finish on my Sperzels now. B)

...Although I still like regular gold too.