StewMac Hot Rod Low-profile 2-Way Truss Rod - Anyone Install With Adjustment at Headstock??? What's Your Favorite Truss Rod?

KeysNGuitar

Hey Friends!

Has anyone purchased the Hot Rod Low-profile 2-Way Truss Rod, 18" overall length from StewMac and installed it with the adjustment at the headstock instead of the heal?  The instructions show that you should install it for adjustment at the heal.  It says you can do both but many of the reviews show that installing at the headstock makes you have to cut a channel that causes a very thin section of headstock which they were all concerned about.  I would like to have the adjustment at the headstock but since this is my very first build, I don't want to have any extra challenges than needed.  What advice can you offer this newbie?  What truss rods do you normally buy that you like/love to use?  This is for electric guitar.

As always, thank you very much in advance for your comments and advice.

Chris

Hot Rod Low-profile 2-Way Truss Rod - 18 in overall length.jpg

I haven't used StewMac's version, but I use this style of trussrod all the time and always with the adjustment end at the headstock. No problems at all. If you still have some anxiety, plan to use a volute in your headstock design. It will fall right under the channel runout in the headstock and it's whole purpose is to strengthen the transition from the neck to the headstock.

SR

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I haven't used StewMac's version, but I use this style of trussrod all the time and always with the adjustment end at the headstock. No problems at all. If you still have some anxiety, plan to use a volute in your headstock design. It will fall right under the channel runout in the headstock and it's whole purpose is to strengthen the transition from the neck to the headstock.

SR

Thank you!  Now I  have to look up volute!!  :D

So cut the channel as directed in the instructions except we have the widened bit of channel at the headstock for the nut?  Or are there some other tricks?

I appreciate the quick response.

Chris

• Like 1

my fav - allied lutherie.  they have a new single action low profile that is really small and light - haven't tried it yet but have plans to use it in a wizard style neck at some point.  

afa neck/heel adjust... pretty much any rod (as mentioned) will do either but the direction to tighten flips to opposite depending.  

yes - the widened bit at the headstock.  you may consider how it's going to fit in there and poke thru to let you adjust.  I like to try to preserve that little bit above the rod at the end there... and instead of routing from the top I would drill into the hole to open it up.  this is pretty common procedure for headstock adjust but then everyone does it dif.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, KeysNGuitar said:

Thank you!  Now I  have to look up volute!!  :D

So cut the channel as directed in the instructions except we have the widened bit of channel at the headstock for the nut?  Or are there some other tricks?

I appreciate the quick response.

Chris

Browse a number of builds in here and you'll see a variety of volute styles.

14 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

my fav - allied lutherie.  they have a new single action low profile that is really small and light - haven't tried it yet but have plans to use it in a wizard style neck at some point.  

afa neck/heel adjust... pretty much any rod (as mentioned) will do either but the direction to tighten flips to opposite depending.  

yes - the widened bit at the headstock.  you may consider how it's going to fit in there and poke thru to let you adjust.  I like to try to preserve that little bit above the rod at the end there... and instead of routing from the top I would drill into the hole to open it up.  this is pretty common procedure for headstock adjust but then everyone does it dif.

This covers it nicely.

SR

• Like 2

I'm using the low profile Hot Rod with headstock access in my current build. I didn't go super thin on my neck carve, and have a fairly sizeable volute to help account for it.  There are a number of factors involved in the strength/structural integrity of the neck, but making sure you have as much wood as you can get in vulnerable areas is a good start!