Relicing- Yay or nay?

GDunn

With that logic copying Rembrandt's "Night Watch" in the patinated state would make justice to the original. As Wikipedia says. "For much of its existence, the painting was coated with a dark varnish, which gave the incorrect impression that it depicted a night scene, leading to the name by which it is now commonly known".

As law says, whisky has to be stored in oaken barrels for three years until you can call it whisky. I've tasted some Russian spirit that said whisky on the label but most likely it was "reliced" booze. Only the colour was similar, and the alcohol content.

So basically I say "nay" with the exception that if you have a priceless piece of art like a true vintage guitar shown on every promo picture, using a copy on tour for safety reasons is sane. Copying someone else's roughly loved instrument doesn't transfer the unique features of the player.

in my humble o... it's art.  can't be right or wrong you can only like it or not. 

I think lacquer checking is beautiful.  Have often thought of doing it, then filling with a contrasting bright color (red) and then preserving it but glossing over and bring to a full shine... to get a brand new mirror finish with checking below.  

like anything else... there are one's that look amazing and one's that look lame.  The amazing one's don't even have to be 'accurate' for me... my one requirement is 'pleasing to the eye'.  

guess that makes me a yay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I vote "NO".

If it is 50 years old and well used it will show its character. Even then I have seen very old instruments that show very little wear because they were hardly used and properly stored.

Adding relic or distress indications of ageing do nothing to enhance the instrument other than possibly inflating the ego of the player or owner.

Just my 0.02 cents worth. :)

Peace ,

mk

• Like 1

Sorry, that topic is waaay too old to even consider anymore.

A much better (and recent) vitriol-inspiring question would be about roasting your own necks.

That's the new relic question of the guitar fashionistas out there these days.

Get up with the times yo, its all about the roast-your-own now! 😇

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

No to Relic'ing .  If you're going to roast your wood, do it correctly and use the technique used for Yakisugi on the wood, bear in mind that it is not considered true Yakisugi unless it is Japanese Cypress and wood used for siding period.  Shou Sugi-ban is a bastardization of Japanese and Chinese words to describe the technique.  Which is just charring to a certain point and then extinguishing then oiling.  I includ torrified wood in this as well.  Do it the way the Japanese do on their siding or go home.  Especially if you are going to paint it after building it.  Please excuse the image below if looks bad  I am using a 4k monitor and its making all my photos look bad.  But this is one that I removed the finish and applied the Yakisugi charring procedure, brushed off while rinsing with water, then allowed to dry, then used teak oil until had a nice satin sheen.  Compared to what it looked like, the instrument now has character.  When the 1980's Ibanez poly dip coating was removed, the guitar sounded 100% different and for the better. It sings and sustains. Very boring previously.

IMG_4155.thumb.jpg.1a593473c8c8e062aad9a7b30ec7c36b.jpg

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Bit like football.

Based on what I read in today's paper that comparison is like apples to rotten eggs.

This thread has been very civilized so far.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...