Third build, hybrid T-style

I guess it could be a superstrat/tele. Flame maple top, dyed greenish blue, single EMG and volume, white pickguard, reverse headstock (own design, not the one in the render), redish brown back and sides, white binding.

003b.png

003a.png

Edited by nakedzen
wrong image

38 minutes ago, nakedzen said:

Yeah I guess it's obvious a tele is my favorite guitar shape. :D Also very simple guitar to practise my skills on.

def among my favs.  have 3 or 4 on hand... working on another.  

regarding your build... I think it was prostheta or perhaps scottr who I first heard "don't use black for sandback" from... something you might consider.  black tends to get a bit splotchy and bleed into other colors while a really dark blue or brown (almost black) will actually reveal more figure.  looks lovely, just a thought.

• Like 1

for the record wasn't necc saying it needs to be redone... just passing along a piece of advice i've found useful.  that said... I've found that doing multiple sand backs with dif colors can really pop.  also just using alcohol to draw off the top layer of color a little bit... works for me anyway. 

back looks lovely.  wouldn't touch that.  edges are a bit dark for my taste but a nice contrast.  rawk on.

2 hours ago, mistermikev said:

back looks lovely.  wouldn't touch that

Fully agree!

Washing instead of sanding back can sometimes work wonders. Depending on the dye, even water can work but it can also raise grain which then has to be sanded lightly.

Thanks! I continued with the back and sides a bit, washed the back more with orange, and sanded the sides back. Looks like the CA that I used to fix a gap on the top has leached into the wood and only the black dye sticks to it. Oh well, it's only on the inside of the horn, so black it'll be.

20210512_161151.jpg

20210512_161204.jpg

New router table day! Total budget $60. 😅

Living room cabinet, free from local ads, router Bosch Colt clone from amazon $40, router insert and bits, $20 from aliexpress.

Worked flawlessly, even though I was very suspicious of my hodgebodge engineering.

Soaked the top with IPA to check how it'll look.

20210519_142710.jpg

20210518_162254.jpg

20210518_162249.jpg

20210519_155807.jpg

My binding job looked like garbage, scrathced all over the top so I redid everything. :D

Oil on the back too now. Made doubly sure I won't slip with the razor this time while cleaning the binding. Argh.

But on the positive I like the color wayy more than before now.

20210521_203826.jpg

20210524_112159.jpg

20210524_121049.jpg

20210524_122338.jpg

20210524_131427.jpg

20210524_131435.jpg

• Like 2

Didn't like the nitro I had previously from a new supplier, gave me tons of spatter. Had to sand back some of it, went back to Boston rattle cans. Worked perfectly.

10 coats later. Now to wait two weeks before wet sanding. Can anyone recommend good buff&polish compounds for nitro? I'm guessing any car compounds work just as well?

20210528_131130.jpg

20210528_131150.jpg

• 2 weeks later...