Butcher block style Strat

Admittingly never having an original idea, I came across this guitar which looks stunning.  Having never thrown away any of my offcut scraps of wood, I decided to embark upon this project.  Right now, I've started cutting my scrap pieces with a miter saw.  

The inspiration:

image1.thumb.jpeg.1a1161ab5989490ac6a20868d8c256e0.jpeg

My materials:

20200721_161917.thumb.JPG.e9ae161d8c7d47119e99c87d7ca5c03c.JPG

IMG_2659.thumb.jpg.2c67e22824eb6c421a658f1ba13039dc.jpg

Starting to put the puzzle together on top of my Strat template:

IMG_2647.thumb.jpg.e22af458bba9ca20ec319d77e718b263.jpg

Need to keep cutting down more pieces and arranging them to optimize contrast of colors and sizes.  More to come...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Drak said:

I just noticed it was the whole guitar.

Now that you said it...

That adds some extra thought to how the grain direction goes. As you know, endgrain joints aren't the strongest. End to side is a bit better and side to side is the strongest. A closer look to the original reveals that the pieces are directed in all three dimensions. Some blocks have the end grain facing up, providing a side joint on each side.

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Now that you said it...

That adds some extra thought to how the grain direction goes. As you know, endgrain joints aren't the strongest. End to side is a bit better and side to side is the strongest. A closer look to the original reveals that the pieces are directed in all three dimensions. Some blocks have the end grain facing up, providing a side joint on each side.

Also note that the pieces are not full depth, so a less than ideal joint on the surface may have an excellent joint to the part below which has a good joint to the piece next to it and so on.

SR

16 hours ago, t1r12003 said:

Yes the original is super cool.  I can only hope to put together my pieces as nicely as that builder.   

I made my wife a puzzle out of a bunch of off-cuts that looked similar....but infinitely easier to pull off than that project. Good luck with this, it should look stellar!

sR

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

note that the pieces are not full depth, so a less than ideal joint on the surface may have an excellent joint to the part below which has a good joint to the piece next to it and so on.

Good catch! After posting I remembered that there's a tiny triangular piece at the end, but I had to rush to get my Covid vaccination so I had no time to revisit the post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, t1r12003 said:

Very cool.  Probably stating the obvious but this has been the most labor intensive body I’ve ever made.  Totally worth it when it’s finished though 

yeah, lots of butt joints.  I would think cutting them at a 45 on chop saw with angle not visible would make shorter work and better joints... but either way gonna be a lot of work.  you go!