Butcher block style Strat

I'm so confused at how you're gluing and clamping this up. I had a totally different approach to this in my head, but it looks like you've got it sorted out. Really looking forward to it being planed and shaped. 

49 minutes ago, Gogzs said:

I'm so confused at how you're gluing and clamping this up. I had a totally different approach to this in my head, but it looks like you've got it sorted out. Really looking forward to it being planed and shaped. 

I should have taken pics of the clamping and gluing but basically I started gluing up 3 or 4 blocks at a time then I’d glue a couple of the larger pieces together, so on and so forth.  I saved the curved cutoff pieces so I had a straight edge to glue the largest pieces together

Going through my neck lumber and decided on some darker woods that I feel would complement the body best.   Black walnut neck blank and cocobolo fretboard.  Due to the length of this neck blank I’ll have to go with a 3x3 or 4x2 headstock shape.  I originally drew out a Snake head Tele type headstock shape on this blank 

4C0D2CA1-A5BE-4781-9492-5056951BAF69.jpeg

Just for clarification: Are all the pieces of equal thickness and is this going to look similar on both sides? I read you're going to use epoxy so structural integrity should not be a problem.

All that said, that looks simply stunning!

8 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Just for clarification: Are all the pieces of equal thickness and is this going to look similar on both sides? I read you're going to use epoxy so structural integrity should not be a problem.

All that said, that looks simply stunning!

Yes all were within 1/16” of being 1 3/4” thick.  There were a few pieces that had some figured maple tops, bocote, wenge etc so the back will have less color.  

• Like 1

I might have flooded the entire surface with that epoxy, spreading it with a credit card to fill the tiniest cracks. There's spots that don't look too healthy and you'd be sanding the surface clean anyway. Or are you going to use clear epoxy for the rest?