Jump to content

Blackish.........sort of.


Recommended Posts

I taped the edge of the excess nitro and then sanded the paper tape and the nitro down to nearly level before removing the remaining tape. Which is tough to do once it's been sanded thin. I got a little surprise as I found that the solvents in the adhesive actually swelled the lacquer a little and left tape marks in it.

Well I was leveling anyway.....

DSC03919.JPG

DSC03920.JPGDSC03921.JPGDSC03922.JPG

SR

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ScottR said:

And so....

DSC03923.JPGDSC03924.JPGDSC03925.JPGDSC03927.JPG

We have a resurrection.....

SR

hehe, nothing quite like fully admitting you forgot the lyrics.  In high school... i did a benefit with this band... and we played war pigs and I sang... couldn't remember the lyrics to last verse and was not able to admit it (now in darkness world stops turning...).  so we just did this extended version where I stalled by saying I wanted to see everyone banging their heads.  I wish I had had the balls to just admit it... and then have someone remind me.    Comes off pretty balsy, lol.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mistermikev said:

hehe, nothing quite like fully admitting you forgot the lyrics.  In high school... i did a benefit with this band... and we played war pigs and I sang... couldn't remember the lyrics to last verse and was not able to admit it (now in darkness world stops turning...).  so we just did this extended version where I stalled by saying I wanted to see everyone banging their heads.  I wish I had had the balls to just admit it... and then have someone remind me.    Comes off pretty balsy, lol.

Mike can get away with pretty much anything. He knows his crowd very very well. And as you said, it comes off quite well and he just added another personal connection with his crowd.

SR

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spent a good chunk of the weekend repairing my fence. We had some high winds last week and I have a section of fence that was put up last hurricane using the old posts and framework. My neighbor doesn't take care of his side and his pickets are falling out and my dogs are going exploring.

I did one day in and it was mostly cleaning up details and adding to the polishing. I went to O'Reilly's to get some more steps of polishing compound and some wax. It's been awhile since I've looked at auto wax, Everything seems to be ceramic wax now. What the hell?! Well the stuff looks pretty good....I guess I'll have to put some on my Jeep.

DSC03929.JPGDSC03930.JPGDSC03932.JPGDSC03933.JPGDSC03934.JPG

The hardware is going to be black.....

DSC03936.JPGDSC03938.JPG

SR

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At first look I thought there's a scratch on the upper horn but on the next photo it was obvious that it's a hair as I could see the reflection of it. That's the problem with highly polished things, all dust particles and hair show double!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

At first look I thought there's a scratch on the upper horn but on the next photo it was obvious that it's a hair as I could see the reflection of it. That's the problem with highly polished things, all dust particles and hair show double!

It was crazy dry this weekend- 20% in my garage. The very act of polishing builds up a static charge which of course attracts dust and everything else floating around like a magnet.

SR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

The very act of polishing builds up a static charge which of course attracts dust

At first I was looking for the experiment about rubbing an ebonite pole with a cat's fur. But as I was double checking that I learned that it depends on the materials whether the rubbed object gets a negative or positive charge. That made me wonder if the guitar could be buffed to repel dust by choosing the right material for the buffer. But no, the same laws affect dust as well, dust particles can be both negatively or positively charged depending on what they make contact with while floating through air. So there'll always be dust of the opposite charge flying around, waiting for a freshly polished guitar...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, mistermikev said:

note to self... wax?  always just used guitar polish which I suspect has some wax... but I think your wax >= my wax.  lovely as always.

I think the word wax is only in there so consumers know what the product is for. I think there is very little wax left in auto finishes any more, especially if they are calling themselves ceramic. I've always finished with a bit of automotive wax/finish after polishing the lacquer. I don't know that it gets much shinier, but certainly no less, and it seals  and makes the whole thing feel slick and maybe a bit harder (might be an association with the slickness). My cars always look better longer with a good wax job, so why not my guitars?

SR

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

I think the word wax is only in there so consumers know what the product is for. I think there is very little wax left in auto finishes any more, especially if they are calling themselves ceramic. I've always finished with a bit of automotive wax/finish after polishing the lacquer. I don't know that it gets much shinier, but certainly no less, and it seals  and makes the whole thing feel slick and maybe a bit harder (might be an association with the slickness). My cars always look better longer with a good wax job, so why not my guitars?

SR

right on.  i suspect there is similar stuff in guitar polish.  the stuff I use also smells nice so... hard to ween off of it!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

right on.  i suspect there is similar stuff in guitar polish.  the stuff I use also smells nice so... hard to ween off of it!!

 

You are probably correct. I wouldn't be shocked to find that they are the same or nearly the same product. The stuff I got smells nice as well

SR

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

My cars always look better longer with a good wax job, so why not my guitars?

Since there's no big difference between the clearcoat or paint on cars and guitars, why not use the same products? The younger partner (20+) at my regular car repair shop swore by King Carthur All In One PolishCoat which cleans, removes small and fills deeper scratches, polishes and protects all in just one pass.

For an oiled finish or bare wood I'd prefer "real" wax, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...