Blackish.........sort of.

22 minutes ago, Charlie H 72 said:

Oops my art-speak is showing!

But, of all the art-speak out there, sculptural is a pretty good word

It surely is.

I used to be fluent in art speak. BFA in commercial art class of 1981.

I suppose the vernacular has morphed a tad over rhe past 40 years....

SR

On 7/24/2021 at 1:50 AM, Bizman62 said:

Yea I know about the barn houses, used as raw material for Barncasters etc.

Wikipedia told about 'bairn' been mostly used in Scotland which used to be in close contact with the Vikings. Many Scottish names, both for places and people, have a norse origin. I never had realized that until I read part of the Orkneyinga saga that was translated into Finnish. After that it was clear that names like 'Orkney' indeed are Old Norse which can somewhat be understood through Swedish. 'Ey' means 'island' even in current Icelandic. 'Orkn' can be understood as 'Orr's', Orr being the brother of Nor who on his part traveled along the Western Scandinavian fjords and thus gave name to 'Norway'...

I have been in parts of Scotland (Inverness, Edinburgh) where bairn is used more than child, here's a few more Scottishisms I like,

ken=know

canny (as in ye canny do that) = can't

away with yer wheesht = stop that nonsense

Lovely lines on the guitar Scott, I was going to say it was very three dimensional, but I like sculptural a lot better :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

I have been in parts of Scotland (Inverness, Edinburgh) where bairn is used more than child, here's a few more Scottishisms I like,

ken=know

canny (as in ye canny do that) = can't

away with yer wheesht = stop that nonsense

Lovely lines on the guitar Scott, I was going to say it was very three dimensional, but I like sculptural a lot better :) 

Thanks Muzz!

I ken ken, and have not seen canny- but have seen canna or canno used in the same way. I have never run across " away with your wheesht" but I rather like it.

I wonder if I'd have to practice my brogue before I could get away with using it?

SR

18 hours ago, ScottR said:

I wonder if I'd have to practice my brogue before I could get away with using it?

SR

That immediately made me think of the comedy trio, The Goodies going into a shop near Loch Ness deciding they were not going to let the locals know they were not Scottish at 11.15 in the video

11 hours ago, Muzz said:

That immediately made me think of the comedy trio, The Goodies going into a shop near Loch Ness deciding they were not going to let the locals know they were not Scottish at 11.15 in the video

That's funny stuff! You guys have some of the best comedy.

SR

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

i love the look of your guitars when they are in that 'rough carved' state.  is really neat.  

I agree, I wish he would build one and leave it at that stage, as it is a design element that can stand on it's own and be its own thing.

Tho he probably wouldn't, as it would probably continually bug the shit out of him as 'unfinished'.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 5:50 AM, ScottR said:

That's funny stuff! You guys have some of the best comedy.

SR

My favourite modern UK comedy is Ted Lasso and here in the land of Australia my fave is Fisk with Kitty Flanagan. Are there any other Aussies left on the forum after Searls Guitars last posted 5 years ago? his thread is still pinned three from the top.

15 hours ago, mistermikev said:

wow, once you smoothed it out that figured just jumped out at me.  still... i love the look of your guitars when they are in that 'rough carved' state.  is really neat.  

Yes  that intermediate stage also looked lovely with all that textured carving, captured for posterity in the photos. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mistermikev said:

wow, once you smoothed it out that figured just jumped out at me.  still... i love the look of your guitars when they are in that 'rough carved' state.  is really neat.  

I get that comment at least once at that stage of every build....

16 hours ago, Drak said:

I agree, I wish he would build one and leave it at that stage, as it is a design element that can stand on it's own and be its own thing.

Tho he probably wouldn't, as it would probably continually bug the shit out of him as 'unfinished'.

I think you are exactly correct. On the other hand, it has been suggested so often, maybe I ought to,,,,with less figured less expensive  wood....and for somebody else.

SR

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 5:16 AM, Muzz said:

Are there any other Aussies left on the forum after Searls Guitars last posted 5 years ago? his thread is still pinned three from the top.

@curtisa is always around and likewise @Crusader. and @Akula pops in from time to time. I feel like we have a new member from down under as well but his name escapes me at the moment.

We need more. I love hearing the Aussie take on things!

SR

• Like 1

😁 Oh those flamin drop bears are annoying.

718625234_Dropbearattack.jpg.874c6ed5c21204a6e8bed94144271fae.jpg

One of the little buggers dropped smack on to my right said fred the other day on my way to the pub. He ripped my winter singlet to shreds but then got distracted by a bunch of boy scouts that were close by and tore after them. Lucky, cos I had my good going out thongs on and couldn't hoof it away too fast,

1232531207_GOTsmall.jpg.8cb47a023a376df313c7c1ca0560fade.jpg

Good thing the lady from Wildlife Rescue showed up wearing the right PPE and sorted the little blighter out 😁

2092139839_DropBear.jpg.23abe81a7b150c7652433f8719a39b48.jpg

• Haha 1