Blackish.........sort of.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I posted in @Akula's thread that if you only mess up one finish you are not trying hard enough.

Welp, this is not not my first or my second.....or even my third coxup....but here I am proving the rule. I sanded through the CA layer. Then I touched that up and then I did it again.

DSC03804.JPGDSC03805.JPG

Sanded through even with the target in sight.

DSC03806.JPG

So I wasted three days of sanding with 400 grit trying to sneak up on the dye job. And while it appears to be easy to sand through the CA layer with 400 grit, it appears to be impossible to remove the layer using 400 grit.

And am I the only one experiencing a shortage of 400 grit? I

I've been to three different stores over two different weekends and nobody has 400. Plenty of everything else, but no 400.

After several days a futility, I did what I should have done at first and went back to 220 and sanded back to bare wood.No pix, I was disgusted and on a mission. It looked just like the first sand  back the first time I did this. Pix on previous pages.

Oddly enough I did the same thing with the test on scrap. I didn't sand through, but I sanded too soon and royally screwed up the CA layer. And then sanded back to bare wood and re-dyed.

I did the same dying schedule and ended up here:

DSC03808.JPGDSC03809.JPG

SR

And here.

DSC03810.JPGDSC03812.JPGDSC03813.JPGA

And then re-coated with CA and carefully leveled again.

IDSC03817.JPGDSC03818.JPG

It is ready to shoot a couple layers of clear and then tint.....and more clear etc. next weekend.

The truly said part is after a couple weeks of humidity so thick one is in danger of drowning just walking around in the back yard, we just had three days of 90+ degree temps with 40ish percent humidity. Perfect for spraying.

Next weekend I'll probably need a life jacket again.

SR

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ScottR said:

DSC03823.JPG

SR

I am trying and failing to try to understand what in the wild world of sports is going on in this picture.  the only guess I can fathom is that this is how you hang up your build for spraying?  Otherwise this is some new electronics I simply have to know about.

not to overshadow the finish... that finish looks amazing but at this point honestly I wouldn't have expected anything less than a 10 from you.

edit: just got my answer from another of your pics.  pretty cool idea.  on another note... I assume that's mixol in your lacquer?  sort of looks like smoked glass.  really is a classy look.  you aren't going with black chrome hardware are you?  if so... mind - prepare to be blown.

• Like 1

As many others I've learned to expect perfection from you...

That said, would you reveal how you managed to fix the dents around the high e tuner hole in the headstock? Here they're visible:

kuva.png.52f12d745ab2c56eb5dbd705f5a49e18.png

And here not:

kuva.png.d72926ecee310f1ded77892f94efd044.png

On 8/23/2021 at 12:10 AM, ScottR said:

And while it appears to be easy to sand through the CA layer with 400 grit, it appears to be impossible to remove the layer using 400 grit.

That is so true.  I think that it should be raised at the highest levels of academic physics to confirm it is indeed a law of physics . ‘Scott’s Law’ rolls off the tongue nicely…

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Holy moley that's looking good 

Thanks Ash.

This is some of the most angular figure I've ever worked with. There are areas right next to each other on the same side of the bookmatch that appear and disappear based on the light angle. that usually happens on opposite sides of the bookmatch. Some of the most boring flat looking places in the pictures are actually the most chatoyant.

Weird. But fun to look at.:D

SR

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mistermikev said:

I assume that's mixol in your lacquer?  sort of looks like smoked glass.  really is a classy look.  you aren't going with black chrome hardware are you?  if so... mind - prepare to be blown.

Thanks Mike.

What's mixol? What it is is black transtint mixed into lacquer thinner and then mixed into lacquer and airbrushed over the previous clear coats.

Black chrome, now that would be cool. Gotoh has a hardware finish called Cosmo black that looks like Hematite, and I absolutely love. But they don't do knobs in it and Babicz bridges don't come in that finish either. So yes to all black hardware, but sadly no to black chrome.

SR

• Like 1

Just now, ScottR said:

Thanks Mike.

What's mixol? What it is is black transtint mixed into lacquer thinner and then mixed into lacquer and airbrushed over the previous clear coats.

Black chrome, now that would be cool. Gotoh has a hardware finish called Cosmo black that looks like Hematite, and I absolutely love. But they don't do knobs in it and Babicz bridges don't come in that finish either. So yes to all black hardware, but sadly no to black chrome.

SR

well mixol is just a tint for laquer.  

yes, cosmo black - big fan.  on my bucket list.  black hardware should look dynamite.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

As many others I've learned to expect perfection from you...

That said, would you reveal how you managed to fix the dents around the high e tuner hole in the headstock? Here they're visible:

kuva.png.52f12d745ab2c56eb5dbd705f5a49e18.png

And here not:

kuva.png.d72926ecee310f1ded77892f94efd044.png

Ha!

What you are really seeing is me testing the spot fix feature in the microsoft photo editor for the first time. Works pretty good!:)

Those marks were caused by some fool that let the airgun hose contact the headstock after it was sprayed and before it dried. It is repaired by drop filling which has begun...

I'll get a shot or two before it is finished. I just use an artist's brush to overfill the depression, let that dry a bit and then spray. It will shrink back a bit, so I do it between coats till it stops being visible the next day....at least to the degree that leveling will take care of it.

I should have known you'd spot that.

SR

Looking absolutely breathtaking, Scott. Every part of this has been great, but this finish leaves me wordless in awe.

I like the hanging from the output jack idea. I had a guitar (the same finishing nightmare you previously mentioned) come crashing down when the coat-hanger through the tuner hole just snapped. Spontaneously. Terrifying. Never again, I'll rig something through the output hole. Or I'll levitate it like a Jedi, but no more plastic coat-hangers.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Akula said:

Looking absolutely breathtaking, Scott. Every part of this has been great, but this finish leaves me wordless in awe.

I like the hanging from the output jack idea. I had a guitar (the same finishing nightmare you previously mentioned) come crashing down when the coat-hanger through the tuner hole just snapped. Spontaneously. Terrifying. Never again, I'll rig something through the output hole. Or I'll levitate it like a Jedi, but no more plastic coat-hangers.

Thank you kind sir!

I usually just oil my headstocks and hang them by running some stout braided nylon rope through a tuner hole. I've had one drop before too, and moved to much heavier hanging materials. This headstock gets the full gloss treatment so no hanging through the tuner holes. You've got to spray around the cord (nylon  locking ties this time) coming out of the jack hole (sounds like an elaborate curse), but it can be done easily enough.

SR

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

I should have known you'd spot that.

What? Didn't you put that pair of headstock images there on purpose, for someone like me to find and comment? 😜

Photo editors today are amazing! If only they could be used for fixing flaws in the real objects instead of pictures of them... I'd buy one at once!

• Like 1

I tried to get a shot of the drop fill, but it disappeared....at least as far as the camera is concerned.

DSC03845.JPG

This one shows it after some spraying. Too aggressive spraying as you can now see a run and some solvent pops.

DSC03846.JPG

About this time a young anole run up from behind me--he's been living in the garage! He's definitely a blues lizard.

DSC03847.JPG

I decided to clean up some runs and solvent pops and slow down a little.

DSC03848.JPGDSC03851.JPG

SR

• Like 1

This little guy hung out with me most of the day.

DSC03855.JPG

I decided to get closer to the blackish image I had in my head....and on my test piece. I've always wanted to see what a clear, then tint, then more clear then more tint, then lots more clear looked like.. It is tricky to tell what you've got. The tint layer is matte and sort of opaque. It is easy too think you've got too much.

DSC03857.JPGDSC03858.JPGDSC03860.JPG

SR

• Like 2