Blackish.........sort of.

Hmm. Where was Wally at the time of the incident? 

Not sure if you have any on hand, but the Cellosolve works wonders if you end up with any little areas that don't want to blend. 

It couldn't be in any more capable hands. 

On 9/30/2021 at 5:18 PM, Muzz said:

remember everyone your god(s) will only knock your guitar off the bench when you have no carpet or bean bag under it, as soon as you do, the guitar will be stuck to your bench with celestial glue :D 

I have learned over the years that the guitar gods have a wicked sense of humor.

SR

• Like 1

22 hours ago, komodo said:

Hmm. Where was Wally at the time of the incident? 

Not sure if you have any on hand, but the Cellosolve works wonders if you end up with any little areas that don't want to blend. 

It couldn't be in any more capable hands. 

Wally's hands are clean. He's across town in my office keeping his eye on Annie...in fact he can't seem to take his eyes off of her.....

And your Cellsolve fix from a while back has been on my mind lately. I should get some.I've got a couple cracks in the first scroll guitar, that came from tightening the screws on the blade switch a tad too tight. It's kind of a mojo thing that I've let live, but I may get tired of that idea at some point.

SR

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

I'm fairly chuffed with the figure and the burst.

Uh-huh... For some reason I got thinking about the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issues...

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2021 at 11:46 AM, komodo said:

Not sure if you have any on hand, but the Cellosolve works wonders if you end up with any little areas that don't want to blend

Where did you end up getting yours, Jeff?

Amazon appears to want to sell it by the case.

SR

18 hours ago, ScottR said:

Yeah, it looks good from those shots, doesn't it. I'm not happy with it yet. There are still a couple dimples and visible bubbles that bug me. I've got to back up a bit and do some more healing work there.

SR

They must be very small blemishes, the finish looks perfect in the photos, one of the great things about making a guitar for yourself with no deadline is you can spend the time getting it just how you want it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

They must be very small blemishes, the finish looks perfect in the photos, one of the great things about making a guitar for yourself with no deadline is you can spend the time getting it just how you want it.

Well you know how it is. What looks minor to the casual observer looks like the effin' grand canyon to the guy what made it!

SR

• Haha 2

On 10/4/2021 at 4:53 PM, ScottR said:

Where did you end up getting yours, Jeff?

Amazon appears to want to sell it by the case.

SR

Wow sorry I missed this, I've been consumed by work.

This is a good question. Looking back in my emails, it looks like I bought it off of Ebay. The user name is:  sierrachemicalco
And, it looks they are still there. Search for "2-Butoxyethanol - Butyl Cellosolve - Technical Grade". One pint is about $25.

I tried progressively different solvents working up to acetone, and nothing worked like this stuff did. I found it very forgiving also. I used disposable droppers and an xacto in the process, scoring the area with the xacto, then dropping in the Cellosolve. Give it a chance to work, and then come back and poke little areas where it may not have fully dissolved through. You do need to be careful if you are going down to the wood, the solvent will mess with the dye and make it discolor a small area if you poke into the wood. Yours is fairly similar in 'darkness' and probably won't give you trouble.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, komodo said:

Wow sorry I missed this, I've been consumed by work.

This is a good question. Looking back in my emails, it looks like I bought it off of Ebay. The user name is:  sierrachemicalco
And, it looks they are still there. Search for "2-Butoxyethanol - Butyl Cellosolve - Technical Grade". One pint is about $25.

1 Pint

Thank you sir.

SR

19 hours ago, mistermikev said:

that smokey gloss - ooh la la. 

Thanks. That part came out pretty well, if I don't say so myself.

19 hours ago, mistermikev said:

I don't see any ugly spots there!

Creative camera angles.:D

I spent all last weekend re-working that. My main light source is the sun, which is hard to reposition to get the best angle. When I looked at it in different light the next day, I saw many bubbled that I could not see whilst working on it. The repair feels good and the gloss matches fine, but it doesn't look good to me. My problem appears to be some old nitro I've been using to fill it. It is dregs that I've kept around for touch ups and by now it has too much solvent in it. I've sprayed all my fresh stuff.

So it looks like I'm going to buy a fresh quart, and sand down past the bubbles, add a new layer of black and start the fill with fresh nitro. I probably aught to go the extra mile and break out the airbrush and spray in the repair layers instead of drop filling with a brush.

The delay just before the finish line is bugging the hell out of me, but as @Muzz said, there truly is no timeline.....besides my own internal timeline.

But that's the one I dance to.

SR

• Like 2

So what have we been doing?

Well, here is a view that you didn't get. Granted it is tweaked to show the bad stuff looking worse than it actually did.

DSC03900.JPG

So I plastered a mix of acetone, black dye, and a bit of old nitro to fill all those bubbles with black. The idea was to then  level that back down which would remove all the black but what was in the bottom the bubbles....in theory.

DSC03901.JPG

DSC03903.JPG

Leveled and then polished.

DSC03907.JPG

Those bubbles are shown many times their actual size.....which of course is exactly have the looked to me.

SR

That would not do.

So I sanded all those bubbles out and left a depression that needed to be filled. I plastered the bottom of the depression with the black goo mentioned above and then  leveled that.

DSC03910.JPG

Then I got the airbrush back out and mixed up a black tint and evened the leveled black out. And then sprayed nitro to fill the depression I'd made.

DSC03913.JPGDSC03914.JPG

Carefully peeled the mask off and gazed upon the load of work I'll have next weekend,

DSC03915.JPGDSC03916.JPG

SR

• Like 2

I love the tenacity. Fixing stuff becomes a puzzle, and you just can’t stop until it’s solved to what you have in your mind’s eye.

I bet this ends up as your #1.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, komodo said:

I love the tenacity. Fixing stuff becomes a puzzle, and you just can’t stop until it’s solved to what you have in your mind’s eye.

I bet this ends up as your #1.

Thanks. You just gotta love it when a new challenge shows up.:blink:

Every guitar I make becomes my number one......until the next one.

SR

• Like 2