Blackish.........sort of.

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

Since there's no big difference between the clearcoat or paint on cars and guitars, why not use the same products? The younger partner (20+) at my regular car repair shop swore by King Carthur All In One PolishCoat which cleans, removes small and fills deeper scratches, polishes and protects all in just one pass.

For an oiled finish or bare wood I'd prefer "real" wax, though.

Agreed.

SR

On 11/1/2021 at 12:30 AM, ScottR said:

I spent a good chunk of the weekend repairing my fence. We had some high winds last week and I have a section of fence that was put up last hurricane using the old posts and framework. My neighbor doesn't take care of his side and his pickets are falling out and my dogs are going exploring.

I did one day in and it was mostly cleaning up details and adding to the polishing. I went to O'Reilly's to get some more steps of polishing compound and some wax. It's been awhile since I've looked at auto wax, Everything seems to be ceramic wax now. What the hell?! Well the stuff looks pretty good....I guess I'll have to put some on my Jeep.

DSC03929.JPGDSC03930.JPGDSC03932.JPGDSC03933.JPGDSC03934.JPG

The hardware is going to be black.....

DSC03936.JPGDSC03938.JPG

SR

This is just amazing ! Your finishing is top notch (and very tasteful) !

That was an incredible save you did there. Those micro bubbles of the nitro can be a pain !

I also have concrete floor in the garage and every time I'm moving a guitar in and out of the spraying booth I hold my breath in fear.... So far I have been extremely lucky.

Congratulations, it's looking seriously good !

10 minutes ago, Blackdog said:

This is just amazing ! Your finishing is top notch (and very tasteful) !

That was an incredible save you did there. Those micro bubbles of the nitro can be a pain !

I also have concrete floor in the garage and every time I'm moving a guitar in and out of the spraying booth I hold my breath in fear.... So far I have been extremely lucky.

Congratulations, it's looking seriously good !

Thanks BD!

Micro bubbles are indeed a pain. Every time the sun comes directly into my garage and hits this guitar directly I find some more. At least they are completely invisible in normal lighting....I'll just have to be sure to never play it in direct sunlight.....

Every rag I own is now on the floor surrounding my work bench, just in time obviously. Makes it hard to walk in that area though.

SR

2 hours ago, Charlie H 72 said:

Yup, this looks awesome! No surprise, but its good to see it come together. And come together it did! Can I nitpick? I'm going to... Any way to shoot some black lacquer over that babicz logo? It's distracting me!

Interesting that you point that out. I've used maybe five or six of these bridges now and at least one other of them was black and the logos were them same on all them....less contrast on the chrome ones perhaps, but they were always something my eyes just slid past.  When I installed this one, it jumped out at me just like it did with you. Probably because  of the deliberate use of all black hardware. There's bits of chrome here and there of course, but they balance the silver gleam of the SS frets. But that big ol white logo does stick out. If it were the size of the Seymour Duncan logos, it would balance them.....maybe.

But no, I don't intend on shooting this thing anymore. I'll have to learn to live with it, or get it dirty enough to fade away.

SR

• Like 1

Damn, amazing pictures, yet I feel like they don't do it justice how awesome it must be looking in real :D

Besides the Babicz/SD logos on the front, one thing that bugs me is the transition from insane glossy body to slurry/satin neck. I have no idea how I'd do it better, but those transitions always look and feel odd to me. 

Otherwise, 10/10 build thread and build itself. Just curious, how heavy is it in the end?

5 hours ago, Gogzs said:

Damn, amazing pictures, yet I feel like they don't do it justice how awesome it must be looking in real :D

Besides the Babicz/SD logos on the front, one thing that bugs me is the transition from insane glossy body to slurry/satin neck. I have no idea how I'd do it better, but those transitions always look and feel odd to me. 

Otherwise, 10/10 build thread and build itself. Just curious, how heavy is it in the end?

Thanks!

I've never taken a picture of a guitar that conveys well what it really looks like. They are way easier to build than they are to take good pictures of.....although @killemall8's pics kind of make that a false statement as his pics (and bulds) are amazing! With mine, I think you need to be able to feel it while looking at the pictures to get the real idea.

I think I could make the gloss to matte transition work if I didn't always have a burst both under the gloss and in the gloss. The act of finishing the neck cuts into the burst and eliminates the blended part leaving a harder edge that draws attention to itself.

I haven't weighed it yet but I'd estimate it to be about seven and a half pounds, maybe a couple ounces more. I was really pleased with its lightness, and then I strapped on all the hardware and controls. I think it gained a pound and a half.

SR

• Like 2

You all may have noticed that those are Seymour Duncan P-Rails and the Triple Shot rings that are made for them. Each ring has two mini slider switches that allow you choose P-90 or rail single coil or humbucker series or parallel. It still needs setting up, so other than plugging it for a few minutes to verify that everything works, it hasn't been played yet.

So I have a question for those of you that are more electronically inclined than I.....which means all of you.:)

What is the difference in series and parallel in terms of pickup wiring, and what sound characteristics should I be able to expect from either?

I've always thought I had a vague idea....but when I get right down to it--I don't.

Thanks-

Scott

On 11/11/2021 at 3:40 AM, ADFinlayson said:

Another stunner, nice one Scott

Thanks Ash!

16 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Every build you do, I think "That's his best one yet."

I reckon this is your best one yet.:D

So, so good.  

Very good of you to say so Andy!

And after all, isn't that what we all strive for--to make the best one yet?

SR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mistermikev said:

all smoke and mirrors lol... looks fantastic.  note to self... add some tinted black lacquer to the bucket list.  just classy as all get outl;.

also... those controls being 'dropped down' - nice touch.

Why thank you Mike.

I must admit, I agree that using black tinted lacquer for a burst is a very classy look. And as you noted it works will to influence the colors in the dye job provided they are planned to work with black. Some colors work better than others. Either way black in the clear coat layer does not muddy colors like black dye directly on the wood.

I kind of was hoping you might share a bit of your electronics guru side with me regarding my question about series humbuckers versus parallel humbuckers....:)

SR

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Why thank you Mike.

I must admit, I agree that using black tinted lacquer for a burst is a very classy look. And as you noted it works will to influence the colors in the dye job provided they are planned to work with black. Some colors work better than others. Either way black in the clear coat layer does not muddy colors like black dye directly on the wood.

I kind of was hoping you might share a bit of your electronics guru side with me regarding my question about series humbuckers versus parallel humbuckers....:)

SR

oh, shoot... did not see that you were asking... lemme go look...