Blackish.........sort of.

7 hours ago, ScottR said:

Used some copper tacks to peg the fretboard in place. I drilled the pilot holes through the fretboard and then clipped the tops of the tacks off below the lever of the fretboard surface.

Yet another argument in the everlasting pondering the order of building. Pro: the pins are outside the finished neck; Con: you can use neither the fretboard nor the neck blank as a guide for a bearing router bit.

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Yet another argument in the everlasting pondering the order of building. Pro: the pins are outside the finished neck; Con: you can use neither the fretboard nor the neck blank as a guide for a bearing router bit.

This is true. I have never used a router to pattern cut a neck or fretboard. I cut it to shape after the fretboard is glued on and get it to final size and shape by hand.  My neck profiles actually begin in the edges of the fretboard anyway, so there is not too much difference in time. Though not to the degree of @Andyjr1515 I have cut back on the amount of work my router gets. Pretty much only cavities.  I used to use either the top or the body as a pattern for routing the shape of the other piece, but tired of chipouts in figured wood. Now it is carve and then belt and spindle sand to final shape. Besides, the older I get, the more scary routers become.

SR

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mattharris75 said:

Watching videos on youtube where guys have their fingers inches away from the bit when using a router table gives me anxiety. 

Amen brother. Plus the old eyes aren't what they used to be, so how sure can I be that I know how far my fingers are away from that bit?

SR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattharris75 said:

Watching videos on youtube where guys have their fingers inches away from the bit when using a router table gives me anxiety. 

I just saw one, and the guy already had grey hair so he wasn't a newbie. And 'inches' in his case was exaggerating the distance! A quarter or half at the max both on the circular table saw and the table router! Scary as hell!

16 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Looks like you ran out of things to do while glue was drying 😆  i wish I was as efficient a builder as you 

Actually, making dinner was next in line to do while the glue was drying.:)

And I dunno mate, you get your builds done pretty dang quickly if you ask me.....at least when you are not moving house and remodeling garages and so on.

SR

19 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Actually, making dinner was next in line to do while the glue was drying.:)

And I dunno mate, you get your builds done pretty dang quickly if you ask me.....at least when you are not moving house and remodeling garages and so on.

SR

Quickly enough to miss the odd scratch unfortunately 

2 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Quickly enough to miss the odd scratch unfortunately 

We're still our own worst critics. If you missed it building it, it'll be the rare bird that ever sees it.

But of course once we see it, we can never unsee it.

:blink:

SR

I need to glue up the headstock cap next.....so I need to get it out of that board.

DSC03611.JPG

I had to break out the old jig saw (saber saw) as that 36" board was not going to go through my bandsaw.  I cut the part that is going to be the headstock cap free.

DSC03612.JPG

Then I used the off-cut from the headstock angle and cut the angle that will be up against the nut. Then I sliced off a generous slab flattened the gluing surface clamped it in place using a nut blank for a spacer and set some more copper tacks to pin it in place.

DSC03615.JPGF

Flipped the angled offcut to square up my clamps.

DSC03616.JPG

SR

• Like 1

Headstock plate out of the clamps, headstock located-likewise tuner holes. There is that angled offcut again. I like to drill my tuner holes before thicknessing the headstock which insures no splinters on the bottom edge of the holes.

DSC03627.JPG

I cut the profile of the neck and then squared up the tenon.

DSC03630.JPG.

And then cut the neck the rest of the way out and began cleaning up the sides.

DSC03632.JPG

And that is where she sits right now.

SR

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mattharris75 said:

Drilling the tuner holes before thicknessing the headstock...

giphy.gif.54a4c07fc6cac60a93fccb6959bc0280.gif

IKR -I was sitting here thinking 'why didn't I do that?! What do I even do?! I don't know!'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1