Blackish.........sort of.

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

I tried to get a shot of the drop fill, but it disappeared....at least as far as the camera is concerned.

If the camera can't see it, then your bacon is saved in the GOTM.

I wonder what one could see with the new goggles I bought: Up to 25X magnification and LED lights!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

If the camera can't see it, then your bacon is saved in the GOTM.

I wonder what one could see with the new goggles I bought: Up to 25X magnification and LED lights!

Ha! Either way it is gone now.

The goggles sound cool. Be careful what you point them at. Many innocuous little things look damn scary 25x larger!

:D

SR

On 8/30/2021 at 4:35 PM, ScottR said:

Gotoh has a hardware finish called Cosmo black that looks like Hematite, and I absolutely love. But they don't do knobs in it . . .

SR

They do actually. I just put a couple on a guitar and I'm sure if I can get them in France, you can in Texas.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114853137177?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110018%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.COMPLISTINGS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818142838%26meid%3D0430a3a8a0c146c1955287c8dd0db331%26pid%3D101197%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D123583557386%26itm%3D114853137177%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DItemStripV101HighAdFee%26brand%3DGOTOH&_trksid=p2047675.c101197.m1850&amdata=cksum%3A1148531371770430a3a8a0c146c1955287c8dd0db331|enc%3AAQAGAAAB8Lq%2BtOm7lc2Fs7zILqPQk6qOjb15cbFvrmiIyNEuhTBASmaOe%2Bzcec8ZF%2FJTbELgilBH87xrMB0sDyUb76VJUaAP83rzM0Zq8wT1qvsIDz5Ea7fdleGQWzj%2FBWYHdvkdDIP2fQi0DdkLU%2FL3aohiFrMx93fS1GvcLSSAuEUSAtWRJip7KuZsAiZJdXi5pLYoXi1%2B7iNkFXeNlCMSK0pP7p484JmGyYrnycBuG8K5tUsbIsrs5YDE%2FKiqc5fLOD6AcgGux5XIaN0Uv5qO0ACwSXVPXlGRM%2FzowUaMMNtePzqjtDd9YSI%2FtuFJweHj%2BZvLotqzMl0lCiGJ6KHnAlUz951i0FW6a%2BV2XCt%2Fl3ptJe3Hy1gSbSIp5WrslPUdMfXka1e1aaR2iL1ZCEXVC9M5uoDftHsfzQpsByak72XFJGdo9KUe%2F5OrDuaR2lMGxQNcSX1S9zZNA4863U3eRUh%2F6ZFMFdNUMo31ULSJFWpE%2BIvgyPyYkGhvT%2FAb3NxHrAdXu39Xe8Evze2%2BrmXy5YgDklNwvjCx7Qm92hFXmNO0dkheK%2FmmLbO%2Fn8nOJ4wZ5gZQjWnz37v%2FJkXjmLivzcvq17XweSwggNrQ854cIH6x%2BhpZs7544XvZgm6LZGTuA%2FjaRgFi6F9My4zHESn2ob0hQnE%3D|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2047675&epid=20027825822

That link looks wierd. Does it work?

Edited by Dave Higham

2 hours ago, Dave Higham said:

The link did, in fact work.:)

And I thank you for that, and I can get those here in Texas, or at least from Texas. If I had gone into more detail, I would have said my Babicz bridge doesn't come in Gotoh Cosmo black....for obvious reasons. And that being the largest single piece of hardware sort of sets the tone for the rest.

I could have gone for a Gotoh wrap around bridge which look nice are good solid hardware. But I prefer a bridge that lets you adjust saddle height  individually and the Babicz hardtail is my current favorite for that.

Cheers!

SR

I've just been looking through your build, you have such a flair for design. I gave up on trying new body shapes and stick to tradition because my designs just look like what others have already done. Your work looks different yet still has appeal, nice!

Oh yeah, and I only ever have flies that hang out with me... :(

Edited by Crusader
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Crusader said:

I've just been looking through your build, you have such a flair for design. I gave up on trying new body shapes and stick to tradition because my designs just look like what others have already done. Your work looks different yet still has appeal, nice!

Oh yeah, and I only ever have flies that hang out with me... :(

that's a great observation.  I'm afraid the quality of workmanship has distracted me from ever seeing it... but yeah... scottr rocks!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well,

After a week I knocked the tops off the orange peel to let the clear coat breath and outgas easier, and then took a vacation. When I got back the nitro had been curing/drying for about three weeks and I began leveling it. And towards the end of the I day I once again bounced the silly mo.,,,@#%$&***%!!! off the concrete floor of my garage and knocked a nickel sized chunk of nitro off the bottom and likewise off the back edge. This may be the fourth guitar I've done that to. I think I need to carpet my garage....or work in the living room--nope that is hard laminate, so maybe the backyard in the grass.

After waxing poetic for some time....I started the repair-before taking pictures of the damage. It did not get all the way down to the wood so I painted the bottom with some leftover lacquer thinner black dye mix and then dropped in lacquer with a brush. Let it dry and repeat for the rest of the day. I did tape it off first but still managed to get some lacquer drops on the  finish here and there and create more repairs for myself.

Yay me.

DSC03870.JPGDSC03871.JPGDSC03872.JPG

That's like looking at an open wound. It does work though,When I was untaping the fretboard and neck prior to knocking the tops off the orange peel I created a similar wound. I had a nut blank in place and didn't cut the nitro cleanly before knocking out so I could level the headstock I treated it the same way and leveled it back to shape with the rest of the clear at that stage.

DSC03873.JPG

And then I began leveling the wound. Gently and not to full level because the nitro has not had enough time to fully shrink. I wanted to get of of the bumps I didn't need so I don't have to wait for them to cure just to be sanded off and I need to see if I need to add any nitro to the fill.

DSC03875.JPG

And Yes I still need a little.

SR

What's causing that bubbling? I had a similar effect when I fixed a solid black guitar having a corner missing by the MIDI jack cavity. I used epoxy putty which I stained with a black industrial marker (the smell stays for a week!) and finished with some clear 2k poly. I thought the marker hadn't vaporized properly but apparently that isn't the only explaining thing.

8 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

What's causing that bubbling? I had a similar effect when I fixed a solid black guitar having a corner missing by the MIDI jack cavity. I used epoxy putty which I stained with a black industrial marker (the smell stays for a week!) and finished with some clear 2k poly. I thought the marker hadn't vaporized properly but apparently that isn't the only explaining thing.

Impatience mostly.

This is nitro. If you get it too thick the out gassing --solvent evaporation--gets trapped by a surface that has dried before all the solvent evaporates, which shows up as bubbles. I believe it is exacerbated in a warm environment, like my garage in Houston. It is hard to drop fill with a brush and not get a heavy deposit. Thin layers tend to remelt and get wiped off instead of building up.

SR

well, one the one hand... I said f when I saw it too... that must have been painful in realtime.  on the other: if anyone can fix that it's you... and very fortunate it was only the back side... and now we all get a free master class in fixing a finish!  you got this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistermikev said:

well, one the one hand... I said f when I saw it too... that must have been painful in realtime.  on the other: if anyone can fix that it's you... and very fortunate it was only the back side... and now we all get a free master class in fixing a finish!  you got this.

Thanks man.

It made an awful noise when it hit........

SR

• Like 1

Ah man, you weren't wrong when you said the trouble started. I knocked my first build off the workmate onto concrete when it was finished and ready for assembly. Fortunately for me at the time, I was crap at carving, crap at sanding and crap at finishing, so no one would ever know 😂  I have every confidence that you've got this though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Ah man, you weren't wrong when you said the trouble started. I knocked my first build off the workmate onto concrete when it was finished and ready for assembly. Fortunately for me at the time, I was crap at carving, crap at sanding and crap at finishing, so no one would ever know 😂  I have every confidence that you've got this though. 

Thanks.

I only wish I could say this was the only time I've ever done this.....

SR