Custom Guitar Build - First time build

1 hour ago, Armaan said:

either the insulation or widening the walls is the way to go

Those, or peeling the copper tape off the hole. Wood is insulating as such.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's some points that really make a point regarding ergonomics, some other points are pointless yet dangerous in their pointiness!

Are we reaching a point where luthiers are no longer needed since first-timers can build guitars that both look and play good?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At first I wasn't a huge fan of the wood selection but damn this came out gorgeous! 

I've been figuring out my first build and also decided to change the shape to this because of the same crimson video. 😂 And the fact that you can have it upright on your lap, after buying a strandberg that's a must have thing for me.

Does it balance nicely on your lap when playing with it pointing up? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Are we reaching a point where luthiers are no longer needed since first-timers can build guitars that both look and play good?

Definitely not! This guitar wouldn’t have been built without guidance from luthiers on this forum and detailed videos posted by luthiers on all sorts of issues. I would not be happy calling myself a luthier and selling this guitar to a customer - there are some flaws that I would think a customer should not have to look past. 

Also, this guitar would’ve been substantially cheaper if a luthier built it 😁 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ronkde said:

At first I wasn't a huge fan of the wood selection but damn this came out gorgeous! 

Does it balance nicely on your lap when playing with it pointing up? 

It was really difficult to get the wood I wanted, as there is no real luthier or lumber market here. Most suppliers were only willing to sell me really large slabs of wood. When I saw the walnut piece, after 3-4 weeks of searching in during a COVID lockdown, I loved the grain immediately. The Danish darkened the wood and poly gave it a nice semi-gloss finish  

It balances really nicely on the lap and also on the strap. Zero neck dive and really comfortable to play. 

When you say playing pointing up, did you mean like a classical guitar posture? The jack socket would get in the way of that (see the red line). I play with it resting on my leg along the green line.

1FBD2CCA-5342-4160-8891-9F54995ABB0A.jpeg

Now that you mentioned it... I didn't think about the jack until now and most likely I would have put it to the same place myself without thinking. Yet I've thought about the red line against my leg when sitting! Actually I suffer from the same with my round bottomed guitars, the jack or rather the plug is always hitting my right leg. Out of curiosity I strapped one on my shoulder standing up and when I sat down it naturally fell between my legs with the green on the left and the red on the right thigh.

An angled jack might help if you put the red on your leg. For future builds rethinking the location of the jack might be recommendable - although at the time of drilling we'll all most likely forget about the sitting position and drill it randomly where it seems to fit! Guess that's one thing that tells a professional luthier apart an amateur builder!

• Like 1

I always come back to Stranbergs headless guitars, he placed the audio jack pretty nicely, so you can sit down and have the guitar on your leg on both, red and green area.

A bit compromising aesthetic wise when you look at the guitars backside, but otherwise neat placing. I imagine you could have placed it similarly below the shoulder strap button.

• Like 1

@Armaan that's perfectly normal and valid and I guess many players do that since they can reach the lower frets better that way. It's not a stone carved rule by any means. I like to hang my guitars pretty high, actually there's no difference whether I sit or stand as the strap doesn't move at all. Should I have learned to play standing in the 'Rock' position with the guitar covering my crotch and legs spread, the sitting position might be different for me. Or if I had it hanging lower on my side like a Tommy Gun.

This was not meant as criticism, just showing how richly different we all are!

• Like 1

@Bizman62 Yes of course, no offence taken at all. I just tried it out the other way (without connecting to an amp) and it’s not that comfortable. The green line is not long enough to sit on the left leg, such that the red line sits comfortably on the right. It’s a bit unstable in that position. My ESP ltd explorer on the other hand was comfortable in that position, as the treble wing is way longer near the frets.

So @Ronkde you may want to adjust the design if you intend to play it that way. 

• Like 1

@Gogzs Just looked these Strandberg guitars up. Really interesting, but I’m not sure whether I like the headless design. Looks like an amputated arm 😂 , but it seems quite popular.

I see what you mean about the jack though. I didn’t place it near the strap button as that is where the racing stripes wrap around the body. Honestly I was even thinking of not having strap buttons at all and just keeping the body as clean as possible, but where’s the fun in playing only while sitting. 

@Armaan

Ah of course the jack! I didn't pay attention at all. You picked the best looking spot for it in my opinion. Im going to have to do something weird with my own if I ever get started with it.

@Bizman62

My friend always teases me about only playing while sitting and if I use a strap my guitar is very high. I keep my guitar up high proudly, so high I can smell it. I believe it will be alright somewhere in the distant future, when cool is no longer cool.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ronkde said:

I keep my guitar up high proudly, so high I can smell it. I believe it will be alright somewhere in the distant future, when cool is no longer cool.

Back in the 70's I lent a guitar book from the library. On the cover there was a 'sharp dressed' guy in a latte coloured suit with at least four buttons, apparently from the sixties. Neatly combed hair, a great big smile and the guitar up to his chin and the right elbow way up high. Even back then it looked too uncomfortable! I tried to find that cover but to no avail. But the search revealed that many of the iconic players have had their guitars pretty high (like George Harrison and Keith Richards in their early days), or at about the level it would be when sitting straight. And of course there has been those 'bad boys' since the start of rock'n'roll with their guitars down on their knees.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Fantastic guitar, you just need a safety cap on the end of the headstock when you play on stage, your band mates might mandate that! it's a gorgeous rock machine.

Well I’ve never played in band so this shouldn’t be a problem 😂 I fall under the “camp fire guitarist” category haha. I’m more likely to poke a hole in a wall in my apartment.

• Haha 1