Mahogany is Illegal?

Yeah, its quite a dilemma among many many others we have to deal with. I assume the problem could be worked out from both ends. That is, stop cutting mahogany, which will limit supply and stop buying mahogany which will limit demand. I too am sick of seeing ignorant farmers cutting and burning their local wood, just so they can grow a few more yams. Thats all they know how to do, grow yams, but you can't blame them for trying to make a living. It all boils down to "the bucks" and it ain't gonna stop until its all gone.

One of the boats I worked on incorporated prime, straight grain Honduras mahogany for all the strake rails, bumper rails, hand rails and all of the interior. I saw curved cap rail pieces cut from 16' X 2' X 6" blocks of mahogany. I would estimate at least 4 to 5 tons of Honduras mahogany used on this boat. Getting rare? I dunno, but since no expense ($8,000,000 US) was spared in the construction of this boat I guess it doesn't matter anyway. If you got the bucks you can get anything.

The you can order the raw board as well. But Larry usually does not charge an additional fee for milling the wood to your specs, so it makes no difference of you level it yourself or let Larry do the work.

Oh, well when i finish my guitar and i'm playing it, or others are checking it out, i want to be able to say that i'd done everything myself from a blank slab of unleveled wood ^.^

One of the boats I worked on incorporated prime, straight grain Honduras mahogany for all the strake rails, bumper rails, hand rails and all of the interior. I saw curved cap rail pieces cut from 16' X 2' X 6" blocks of mahogany. I would estimate at least 4 to 5 tons of Honduras mahogany used on this boat. Getting rare? I dunno, but since no expense ($8,000,000 US) was spared in the construction of this boat I guess it doesn't matter anyway. If you got the bucks you can get anything.

That sux....:D

Oh, well when i finish my guitar and i'm playing it, or others are checking it out, i want to be able to say that i'd done everything myself from a blank slab of unleveled wood ^.^

LOL....you'll machine the tuners and bridge from metal yourself then, heh?

an idea... wood takes a while to dry, so i'm guessign that alot of the honduras mahogany that people still have and are selling is a few years old, and was originally cut down previous to the honduras mahogany "ban". I mean, what is the government gonna do, replant the old mahogany back into the ground? Things like this take a while to kick in. I'll bet if the ban stays in order for a while, no one will be selling real honduras mahogany in a few years..... Think of prohibition. The government banned the production and sale of alcholol, not the consumtion or buying of it. So, the gov't was able to go into company's warehouses and shut down the factories and destroy their stash, but people who still had wine or whisky in their cellar were still aloud to drink it in their home, the gov't didn't bother to go in every house and destroy everyones bottle of red wine and such. Same with the wood, Larry and other people still have honduras mahogany in their basements ready to sell, but they can't get no more from the supplier, and soon they will run out.

I All I know is if the tree is already cut down, my buying the wood isn't hurting anything, I've never told anyone to cut one down for me, I just buy it when I get the chance.

By buying it , you're creating more demand for it so they have to cut down more to replenish their stock. It's simple economics. You must surely be aware of this unless you're going the "eyes wide shut" route.

First off, It's not like I'm buying tons of wood, and most of the wood is going to stuff such as cabinetry, house building, etc. etc. way far more use than my 2 neck blanks I bought did. Yes, if there is more bought they will cut more down, but I'm not the one who regulates this stuff, surely there is someone who would say, "ok, we're gonna have to stop or be very low on timber". That's when people will stop buying it and look for alternate woods. Why not use it if they sell it? That's all I'm saying, If they sell it then it must not be as big a concern as we are making it out to be. From what I've read, they have tons of it in Honduras, which they make money off of raising and selling them, and helps the country financially. So if they didn't want to make money they wouldn't be selling it. I'm not saying it's good to go around using endangered woods, but who exactly has said it was endangered anyway?

While being sensitive to the ecological issues, I would expect the cost of mahogany to have shot up if there was a real immediate and future shortage. The price seems to be fairly stable. Until I hear of definative information (from someone other than Home Depot) I will continue to buy it as needed. I have used African mahogany before and it was fine. There are lots of interesting woods out there and I will try optional woods with an eye towards sustainability.

LOL....you'll machine the tuners and bridge from metal yourself then, heh?

Doh! Well you know what i meant lol. Actually, i do have the means necessary*sp* to make dicast tuners out of a variety of different metals here. I can choose how i quench them, I can have the option of powder coating, chrome plating, or just plain anealing my metals ^.^

I don't think i'll be able to do the gear ratios properly though >.o Ratios and fractions never were my strong points.

Guitarfrenzy, I'm sorry if it looked like I was judging you. I was just pointing out the obvious flaw in your statement. I'm not knowlwdgeable enough about this issue to judge anyone or to even have an opinion on the subject.

No big deal, that's what we are here for to discuss and learn. I figured that someone would bring out that point, and I'm glad you did. My statements aren't written in gold, they are just points of view that I have at any one moment. And I take no offense to anything you've said, I encourage it.. It makes for a good discussion :D