Adjustable saddle

milton5536

Anyone have any idea how I could replicate this sliding mechanism? I'm trying to make a guitar copying the concept of the one in the embedded video. I've thought of using some potentiometer sliders without wiring them up to anything, but I don't know if they would move too much.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V9Ok4dn9i0A" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 hour ago, milton5536 said:

I've thought of using some potentiometer sliders without wiring them up

I suppose they wouldn't stand the downward pressure of the strings.

Aluminium is pretty soft, even so soft you can use woodworking tools on it if you're careful. Making the base for the sliders should be doable if you have a circular saw with adjustable speed. Make a fence or two to guide the saw and run shallow passes. A router should also work in a similar manner. Both can be handheld or table versions. If you want to play it safe, let a machine shop do it for you with tools dedicated to the task.

The brass pieces could be made out of a brass bar, hand tools should suffice.

I suppose the base plate could also be made out of wood which could be tonally interesting but the pieces might not slide too well.

• Like 1