Need advice - truss rod at heel question

Hope someone can help -- maybe a dumb question, but here goes...

On this build I intend to try a heel accessible truss rod, and following Stewmac instructions as so (these are grabs from Stewmac site)

stewmac.thumb.png.f806e714bf6d290578ee7ea65b42130c.png

and I'm planning to route an access channel something like this:

345707870_ScreenShot2021-06-17at4_32_53PM.png.4f4fad090ca2e20cb42527816e06da8f.png

So, finally the question--- If to insert the truss rod by just sliding it into the channel as shown, whats to stop it from sliding out into the access cavity?

I've stalled my build until I can figure it out, here's where I am now:

IMG_0611.jpg.6ef9b9f8b1fef2a2db40624676dc6a85.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg.92359a8b0885686739b0ca3b4ac16dcf.jpg

Maybe I shouldn't have the truss rod access cavity at all? So the heel pocket wall holds it in place? Then have to remove the neck for adjustment? 

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

53 minutes ago, JayT said:

If to insert the truss rod by just sliding it into the channel as shown, whats to stop it from sliding out into the access cavity?

Friction. Tightening up the rod even just a little bit will bend it and force it to wedge itself against the walls of the channel, preventing it coming out. It'd be no different if you used a spoke wheel truss rod too.

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 6:55 AM, JayT said:

So, finally the question--- If to insert the truss rod by just sliding it into the channel as shown, whats to stop it from sliding out into the access cavity?

Friction yes and to make absolutely sure some silicone at either end of the channel to glue it in place 

• Thanks 1

this is prob anal... but when I have done normal truss rods I glued in a little piece of thin wood in the spot between the actual stabilization bar and the nut.  I don't use a lot of glue... barely any so one could break that pretty easy if they had to.  all that said... I do it fully realizing it's not really necc.  the one time I've done headstock adjust I did a lot of extra work to preserve the wood in that same little area and for that sm reason.  Not sure I gained anything.

I have seen one guitar where due to the topology of the neck any pressure from the rod and it would take it out of the 'ideal zone' and no pressure would mean the truss rod would literally slide around in there and rattle.  You could pull it right out.  was a pretty rare circumstance because it indicated that at that time of year in that environment, that guitar didn't need a truss rod.   I've seen it one time in 30 years so... idk why it stuck w me. 

I also put a few dabs of silicon in prior to gluing down the fretboard as many do for that reason (prevent rattle). 

just wanted to relate... that your question is one I also came to... and I suspect many of us have.  more than likely it is an issue that you'll never have (truss rod moving around).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

was a pretty rare circumstance because it indicated that at that time of year in that environment, that guitar didn't need a truss rod.   I've seen it one time in 30 years so.

It goes to show that everything is possible but if one sees it once in 30 years or more the possibility for it to happen is once in a lifetime. Like winning in the lottery, 7 numbers out of 40 or whatever it is in your whereabouts... Someone always wins but there can be weeks between the big wins. Or, as happened to a friend, there were two coupons to share the second lowest prize of about 2.5 millions - and the other coupon was split into 50 shares! 24000 is a nice sum but it could have been a million...

21 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

It goes to show that everything is possible but if one sees it once in 30 years or more the possibility for it to happen is once in a lifetime. Like winning in the lottery, 7 numbers out of 40 or whatever it is in your whereabouts... Someone always wins but there can be weeks between the big wins. Or, as happened to a friend, there were two coupons to share the second lowest prize of about 2.5 millions - and the other coupon was split into 50 shares! 24000 is a nice sum but it could have been a million...

yeah, wasn't a particularly nice guitar either... just a thick neck.  I'd take the 24k over it any day!!

• Haha 2