Aluminium Tele inspired build

Hi all,

It's been a very long time since I've done anything post-worthy (and this is a stretch)

Originally, I built a furnace with the aspiration of casting aluminium guitars however after a small accident and a skin graft, I've been banned from playing with anything too dangerous.

So here is the concept, Aluminium sides/top with a wooden centre block. Possible with some etchings too.

Apologises for the bad pictures and my terrible lawn

More to follow in the coming weeks

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/24/2021 at 11:33 PM, Workingman said:

I am very slowly restoring a Pfishner (sp?) aluminum upright bass.  Unlike the Alcoa ones this one has a real wood neck, bracing, etc.  Your approach looks similler, perhaps more conservative, so it should work.

Would love to see some pictures of that

jeebus gawd man skin graft - well I respect you diving back in with that in your history.  I suspect many of us have some pretty decent reminders of past pursuits of woodworking, but I hope not many that severe.  

so looks like aluminum encompassing wood... and semi hollow (a fav here).  looks like and interesting beginning, bravo.

Oh? I was just kidding as the two first pictures you posted have very little wood compared to wooden guitars. Did you leave the wooden side pieces in or were they just for shaping? Either way I wouldn't name wood being the culprit. Out of curiosity I weighed our large frying pan to find out that it's about 1 kg. A guitar is at least three times the area and it has a top so I wouldn't be surprised if the body weighs about 4 kg.

3.5 kg body and neck but without pickups and tuners and bridge which will add another 0.5 kg, totalling to roughly 4 kg. A wooden Tele is about 3 - 3.6 kg but a Les Paul 4 - 5.5 kg. Yours is in the PRS weight range so I'd say the weight is acceptable.

59 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

3.5 kg body and neck but without pickups and tuners and bridge which will add another 0.5 kg, totalling to roughly 4 kg. A wooden Tele is about 3 - 3.6 kg but a Les Paul 4 - 5.5 kg. Yours is in the PRS weight range so I'd say the weight is acceptable.

thank-you